md/phd usmle requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiredguy

Not a New Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, first post after a long time lurking. i couldn't find a recent thread discussing the licensure requirements for how long one can spend between the different step exams. i remember a 7 year requirement from a few years ago, and that there are different exceptions based on state. i took step 1 after 2nd year med & am now finishing my 2nd year grad...i may have some flexibility in whether to return to med school in 1 or 2 more years and i'm unsure how concerned i should be over having my first year of residency being the "7th year" or if having the extra year as padding will be at all useful. either way i am assuming that i won't have to worry about my relatively strong step 1 score expiring for purposes of residency competitiveness. if someone can point me to a helpful thread or give me some quick pointers on what i should consider, my thanks to you.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a hurry when I posted that site above. I wanted to add that you don't have to register for Step 3 in the same state where you are doing your residency. For instance, I will be doing residency in Massachusetts and I want to take Step 3 ASAP just to get it out of the way. However, to sign up for Step 3 in the state of Massachusetts, I need one full post-graduate year under my belt even before I register. Hence, I will register through Connecticut which places no restrictions as to when you can take Step 3. Does this mean I have to sit for Step 3 in Connecticut? Absolutely not. I could sign up for Step 3 in Connecticut and even take the exam in Maryland during one of my vacation weeks if I wanted to.

Anyways, this "loophole" can serve to relieve anxiety associated with that whole 7 year limit rule. If you're not comfortable with going through "loopholes" rest assured that in many states that have the 7 year limit rule, exceptions are made for MD/PhD students--all it takes is a letter from your MD/PhD program director to the FSMB for the exemption to take effect.