md/phd usmle requirements

Started by tiredguy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tiredguy

Not a New Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi, first post after a long time lurking. i couldn't find a recent thread discussing the licensure requirements for how long one can spend between the different step exams. i remember a 7 year requirement from a few years ago, and that there are different exceptions based on state. i took step 1 after 2nd year med & am now finishing my 2nd year grad...i may have some flexibility in whether to return to med school in 1 or 2 more years and i'm unsure how concerned i should be over having my first year of residency being the "7th year" or if having the extra year as padding will be at all useful. either way i am assuming that i won't have to worry about my relatively strong step 1 score expiring for purposes of residency competitiveness. if someone can point me to a helpful thread or give me some quick pointers on what i should consider, my thanks to you.
 
I was in a hurry when I posted that site above. I wanted to add that you don't have to register for Step 3 in the same state where you are doing your residency. For instance, I will be doing residency in Massachusetts and I want to take Step 3 ASAP just to get it out of the way. However, to sign up for Step 3 in the state of Massachusetts, I need one full post-graduate year under my belt even before I register. Hence, I will register through Connecticut which places no restrictions as to when you can take Step 3. Does this mean I have to sit for Step 3 in Connecticut? Absolutely not. I could sign up for Step 3 in Connecticut and even take the exam in Maryland during one of my vacation weeks if I wanted to.

Anyways, this "loophole" can serve to relieve anxiety associated with that whole 7 year limit rule. If you're not comfortable with going through "loopholes" rest assured that in many states that have the 7 year limit rule, exceptions are made for MD/PhD students--all it takes is a letter from your MD/PhD program director to the FSMB for the exemption to take effect.