MD PhD: WAMC: 515 MCAT, 4.0 gpa (c and s)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdphd2025

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
MD PhD: WAMC: 515 MCAT (well balanced), 4.0 gpa (c and s)

State of residence: NY
ORM
Male
College junior, upstate NY Private school.
ECs: Basic science (chemical biology) research since freshman fall through senior year, and summers in between

School list:
UB
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Stony Brook
NYMC
Hofstra
Albert Einstein
U of R
Columbia
Cornell
Sinai

Any schools to add/remove? I'm well above the stats for those schools.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

No publications either. However, I did win a research scholarship (its only for students at my school, roughly 50% of applicants can win this).

I am interested in why you have chosen to only apply to New York schools. It would make sense if you isolated your application to the greater NYC area because you had strong family ties, etc. but once you start applying to schools as far away as Buffalo, it seems foolish not to consider schools in areas like Philadelphia and Boston. Also weird that you excluded NYU. Given the information included in your post, I'd say that Cornell, Sinai, and Columbia are unlikely but it can't hurt to try (especially since you're applying to so few schools). You are a very good candidate for all of the others listed as far as I can tell.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am interested in why you have chosen to only apply to New York schools. It would make sense if you isolated your application to the greater NYC area because you had strong family ties, etc. but once you start applying to schools as far away as Buffalo, it seems foolish not to consider schools in areas like Philadelphia and Boston. Also weird that you excluded NYU. Given the information included in your post, I'd say that Cornell, Sinai, and Columbia are unlikely but it can't hurt to try (especially since you're applying to so few schools). You are a very good candidate for all of the others listed as far as I can tell.
Thanks for the insight. To clarify, while maintaining anonymity, I live in Westchester. Went to college upstate, but thats why the LI and NYC schools. I think I have zero chance at NYU specifically so I figured I'd save the $. UB is a safety, but Rochester is a serious consideration. Ideally, I'd like to study in NYC though. Thanks mate!

BTW my concern is I have zero clinical experience/next to no other ECs. I was a TA for an upper division neuroscience class I took. No shadowing, volunteering, clinical work etc. Thank you.

BTW my concern is I have zero clinical experience/next to no other ECs. I was a TA for an upper division neuroscience class I took. No shadowing, volunteering, clinical work etc. Thank you.

Get some shadowing and clinical XP in before you apply this summer. You need to show some evidence that you want the MD. I saw your other thread. If you have no idea what being a physician is like first hand, why do you want to go to med school? If you don't want to take care of patients, why not just go the phd route

Reactions: 3 users
I would refrain from calling Buffalo a safety.. Their median stats for MD/PhD are right there with your stats.

I agree with comments that you should consider wider range of locations... perhaps consider the chicago schools, case, ohio, pitt, etc..

I would refrain from calling Buffalo a safety.. Their median stats for MD/PhD are right there with your stats.

I agree with comments that you should consider wider range of locations... perhaps consider the chicago schools, case, ohio, pitt, etc..
What is their programs specific numbers? I thought mine were higher? Thanks for the tip, I'll take their application (like all others) very seriously!

Hey, I think you're in a great place. I had 0 clinical volunteering experience, minimal shadowing, and got accepted to the bottom 3 on your list. They care about your grades, MCAT, research, and little else. Yes, it's good to have some clinical experience to show you're genuinely interested in the MD side of things, but I can't say it's required based on my experience.

If you have a secondary, your application is reviewed in-depth. Some really famous ones give secondaries to everyone. Since you listed this school, Einstein gives secondaries to everyone. You need to show you are well rounded and have done other things than research and shadowing/clinical volunteering. If Einstein goes through the trouble of going through everyone's application in-depth, my guess they rather have someone with low/moderate stats but shows tremendous growth and potential during their undergraduate through their written application and letters rather than you. Sorry for the bluntness. It just seems the best explanation.

Just so you know, last cycle, the lowest GPA to matriculate was a 2.88, science GPA was 2.75, and lowest MCAT was a 497. Not saying they're the same person, just goes to show there's much more than stats. This does not mean stats plays no role. It does play some role in your acceptance.

I provided the link.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321548/data/factstableb10.pdf

Last edited:
Does anyone else feel like this person is just looking to brag about his or her stats? I feel like even this person knows their work/experience leaves much to be desired.