MD/PhD WAMC + Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncleDFG

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Removed for privacy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Very top heavy, especially with that MCAT (good score, but still a little lower compared to average for a lot of those schools). I would keep those schools and just add more to the list! Places like Iowa / Rochester / Emory / Colorado / CWRU / Wisconsin, I mean really any MD/PhD you could see yourself attending given you have the ability to finance all the apps.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What exactly is your concern, and how much volunteering do you think you need?
Hi Neuronix! I guess I was just hoping for some feedback on whether you would consider my app ready for this cycle or if I should wait and improve on anything such as more volunteering hours or more shadowing etc and apply next cycle instead. Looking through all the other WAMC posts, I feel like I'm lacking a bit in this department, and I was wondering whether you think I can still have a successful application.

I think I'm also just nervous and need some validation haha.

Very top heavy, especially with that MCAT (good score, but still a little lower compared to average for a lot of those schools). I would keep those schools and just add more to the list! Places like Iowa / Rochester / Emory / Colorado / CWRU / Wisconsin, I mean really any MD/PhD you could see yourself attending given you have the ability to finance all the apps.
Hey iron! Appreciate the feedback, and ya I realized as I was typing my list out that it was pretty top heavy lol, but I'll definitely look into the schools you mentioned and add more programs that are closer to my score. Thanks so much!

For MD/PhD, you need research, research, and more research. You just need a small amount of clinical experiences that is sufficient to push your application thru the SOM. While volunteering is nice, it is not necessary....

Reactions: 4 users
For MD/PhD, you need research, research, and more research. You just need a small amount of clinical experiences that is sufficient to push your application thru the SOM. While volunteering is nice, it is not necessary....
Hi Fencer! Ahh I see. I was under the impression that to be a competitive applicant to MD/PhD programs you would essentially need to be both a top tier MD and a top tier PhD applicant combined into one. Definitely makes me feel a bit more at ease knowing that research is the primary factor :). Thanks for your input!

Hi Neuronix! I guess I was just hoping for some feedback on whether you would consider my app ready for this cycle or if I should wait and improve on anything such as more volunteering hours or more shadowing etc and apply next cycle instead. Looking through all the other WAMC posts, I feel like I'm lacking a bit in this department, and I was wondering whether you think I can still have a successful application.

I think I'm also just nervous and need some validation haha.

For volunteering you need some minimum amount. 70 hours is a bit light, but I consider 50 the bare minimum. That part is unlikely to hold you back at most program, though every program has its expectations and processes for admissions.

Hi Fencer! Ahh I see. I was under the impression that to be a competitive applicant to MD/PhD programs you would essentially need to be both a top tier MD and a top tier PhD applicant combined into one. Definitely makes me feel a bit more at ease knowing that research is the primary factor :). Thanks for your input!

Generally MD/PhD admissions are looking at GPA/MCAT/Research experience. Other things matter of course like essays and interviews.

But you're not exactly competing with the MD students. MD/PhDs are expected to have strong research, MDs are not. You need some amount of rounding out for the med school so they don't "veto" your application. I also recommend the usual amounts of hobbies/clubs/whatever so the MD/PhD program doesn't think you are completely one note.

Reactions: 3 users
For volunteering you need some minimum amount. 70 hours is a bit light, but I consider 50 the bare minimum. That part is unlikely to hold you back at most program, though every program has its expectations and processes for admissions.

Generally MD/PhD admissions are looking at GPA/MCAT/Research experience. Other things matter of course like essays and interviews.

But you're not exactly competing with the MD students. MD/PhDs are expected to have strong research, MDs are not. You need some amount of rounding out for the med school so they don't "veto" your application. I also recommend the usual amounts of hobbies/clubs/whatever so the MD/PhD program doesn't think you are completely one note.
Got it. I see now that the application is a lot more similar to PhD applications (with a hint of MD apps). Appreciate the honest feedback!

Yes and no. I don't see PhD applicants with the GPAs, test scores, and research experience that MD/PhD students have. The applications are also more polished with better written essays. The MD/PhD students also tend to be more well rounded.

There are exceptions on the PhD side of course. But just in general MD/PhD applications tend to be stronger in most domains.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes and no. I don't see PhD applicants with the GPAs, test scores, and research experience that MD/PhD students have. The applications are also more polished with better written essays. The MD/PhD students also tend to be more well rounded.

There are exceptions on the PhD side of course. But just in general MD/PhD applications tend to be stronger in most domains.
I'm surprised that the PhD applicants' research experiences aren't as extensive as MD/PhD students, but I guess it makes sense given that the latter's application process is so competitive.