MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Q424

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an Asian female. Immigrant when 17 yo and live independently without financial support. Go to school with full scholarship. I love doing research but also like the clinical work (my cousin is a doctor and she's inspired me a lot). I got to know the MD/PhD in my late junior year. But I was completely unprepared for Med school. My GPA is 3.4 for both overall and science. I had personal event in sophomore that my grades suffered. Taking MCAT in August. Since it's likely that I'm applying for next cycle, should I do postbac to improve my GPA? And what would be other things I should do to boost my application?

I did research on breast cancer inhibitor +2 years, won first prize in Oral Presentation Contest at a state science conference and presented at couples regional and national conferences.

~100 hr volunteer

Leadership: Ambassador for college of arts and science, Ambassador for STEM

TA for organic chemistry one semester

Hope to hear some advice from you. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

See how you do on your MCAT before deciding to do a post bach.

Reactions: 1 user
If you like I can move this post to the Physicisn scientist board where it’s likely to get more input.

I’ll echo above: right now priority number 1 is getting a strong MCAT score. Priority number two is building up your research. Research accomplishments and a strong mcat can make up for your GpA (which isn’t that low btw, but low for Md/PhD. Not out of the question).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you like I can move this post to the Physicisn scientist board where it’s likely to get more input.

I’ll echo above: right now priority number 1 is getting a strong MCAT score. Priority number two is building up your research. Research accomplishments and a strong mcat can make up for your GpA (which isn’t that low btw, but low for Md/PhD. Not out of the question).
Yes please! That would be super helpful if you could help me transfer the post to Physician Scientist board. I just know this site and not really familiar with it. And thank you for your advice. I'm studying for the MCAT now so hopefully can take it in August.

Yes please! That would be super helpful if you could help me transfer the post to Physician Scientist board. I just know this site and not really familiar with it. And thank you for your advice. I'm studying for the MCAT now so hopefully can take it in August.

See my sticky post at top of subforum post list.