MD/PhD's in Industy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psilence

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard alot of people say MD/PhD's mainly work in academia. Does the MD/PhD degree have any use if you wanted to do, say, R&D outside academia? If someone has already asked this, someone please point me in the right direction.

Does anyone know of someone who has gone that route? Did they feel it was worthwhile?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible for a physician scientist to be involved in research and medicine in the private sector? Or if you want to divide your time between those two you have to go to academia?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question Jorje. I want to know the same thing. What opportunities exist for MD/PhDs in industry to have clinical duties? I imagine one can see patients in trials, but is there any other way?

They might initially tell you that you can do a clinic a month (pro bono), but after a while, you are too busy. I have a few MD and MD PhD friends in big Pharma. You actually do not see patients in those clinical trials, you are just running them, designing them, etc. People in Medical Affairs talk to MD investigators in academia or in practice who are actually enrolling those patients. In Pre-clinical research, you do experiments testing your drugs. If the company moves to a new direction, you also need to be nimble and change. One of my former PhD classmates is now the President of a small size biotech company in DC. He worked first at Roche and moved a few times. Again, it is a rewarding job with good salaries, but you limit your choices of what you are working at.

In most situations in the US, there is no combo of part-time private practice and part-time research. Practice will eventually eat you back. People and referring MDs expect you to be there for them when you are needed.