MD + Physiotherapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

linux distro

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I'm interested in pursuing both an MD degree as well as MSc physiotherapy degree. From what I can tell, this isn't a common route, but does anyone know if there are opportunities both clinically and business wise by being trained in both disciplines? Also I should mention I'm in Canada, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
 
Out of curiosity, why do you want to pursue both?

That's a lot of schooling! Have you thought about being an osteopath? It's a good mix of both...and will save you a ton of money on tuition....
 
yeah, that's true, I understand it'll be a lot of school. But I hope it will be worth it. Basically, I'm hoping to work half the week working as a physiotherapist and half the week as a doctor.

Unfortunately, I'm already in the depths of my allopath training, so just wondering if it would be a good idea to apply to physiotherapy school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah, that's true, I understand it'll be a lot of school. But I hope it will be worth it. Basically, I'm hoping to work half the week working as a physiotherapist and half the week as a doctor.

Unfortunately, I'm already in the depths of my allopath training, so just wondering if it would be a good idea to apply to physiotherapy school.

Have you looked into PM&R (physiatry) as a specialty? Seems like the perfect solution to what you are looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physiatry
 
I agree, PM&R may be your next best bet since you're already on the allopath route.

I can't imagine that changing hats between MD and PT would be easy (for yourself or your patients). I suggest doing the physiatry route...and be extra good and collaborative with the PTs rehabbing your patients 😀
 
that's true. but my family/friends have a physiotherapy business which they hope for me to help them run. and this requires a physiotherapy degree.
 
In addition, I actually want to pursue an unrelated specialty (not physiatry)...

I don't know, i'm just figuring out if going through the whole physiotherapy route is worth it.
 
Hi all. I'm a new member here and have never really posted in forums before. I have been looking at the OT and PT forums quite a bit lately and I was so excited to find this post.

I also am considering the MD plus either OT or PT route (leaning more toward OT though I think). It's a very unusual career path so I'm so happy I found someone else who is interested in it. I am currently a 4th year medical student. I was considering going into PMR, but from what I understand you become more of a coordinator. I really would like to help patients "hands on" - I mean that's why I went into medicine. I think having both degrees will help me open my own private practice. Geriatrics is really my passion as far as what patient population I want to specialize in (my grandparents really influenced me a lot).
🙂
 
I also am considering the MD plus either OT or PT route (leaning more toward OT though I think). It's a very unusual career path so I'm so happy I found someone else who is interested in it. I am currently a 4th year medical student. I was considering going into PMR, but from what I understand you become more of a coordinator. I really would like to help patients "hands on" - I mean that's why I went into medicine. I think having both degrees will help me open my own private practice. Geriatrics is really my passion as far as what patient population I want to specialize in (my grandparents really influenced me a lot).
🙂

Do you regret not going DO?
 
Actually I never really knew very much about the DO program at the time of applying to medicine. I don't think I regret it since I can just add on to my medical degree and specialize in PT. Even if I had done DO, I think having a PT or OT degree really gives you much more specific, refined, and needed knowledge in order to treat patients through therapy.

On the bright side of having an MD degree, at least I will be able to write prescriptions for needed patient equipment. Plus when I retake anatomy again when I go from my doctorate, I'll have a completely different perspective from when I took it as a first year student. Having seen a lot more now in surgery and stuff, I actually might enjoy it instead of anatomy being the blizzard of unrelated facts it was at the beginning of my career. I guess those would be the positive to switching my career (or maybe altering is a better word) so late in the game.