MD School Auto-Screens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

packerbear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone speak in detail about the autoscreen process? What's the minimum GPA to make the cut in most places?

Members don't see this ad.

a lot of schools don't have an autoscreen (ie they send secondaries to everyone). for those that do screen, you likely won't make it past if you have a sub 3.0 gpa.

a lot of schools don't have an autoscreen (ie they send secondaries to everyone). for those that do screen, you likely won't make it past if you have a sub 3.0 gpa.
Thanks for your input. Do you have an approximation as to the ratio of schools that do autoscreen vs. those that don't?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone speak in detail about the autoscreen process? What's the minimum GPA to make the cut in most places?
Here's my rule of thumb: invest in MSAR Online and target schools where your stats are closest to the median and > the 10th%ile. Pay very careful attention to IS/OOS rations, and the school's mission statements.

Reactions: 3 users
Here's my rule of thumb: invest in MSAR Online and target schools where your stats are closest to the median and > the 10th%ile. Pay very careful attention to IS/OOS rations, and the school's mission statements.
Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, my GPA will be well below the median of all schools. I'm looking for details as to where I may not be autoscreened out and my app reviewed by an adcom as I will have significant life experience and a great MCAT if I decide to apply in a few years.

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, my GPA will be well below the median of all schools. I'm looking for details as to where I may not be autoscreened out and my app reviewed by an adcom as I will have significant life experience and a great MCAT if I decide to apply in a few years.
Have you had a sharp rising GPA trend?

Does that mean that the once-in-a-blue-moon 2.7/520 with an insane upward trend and 1,000+ hours of clinical volunteering has a chance at med school?

Showing schools that the you of now is not the you of then, typically by a stretch of recent high grades.
Not to post jack. But ok, so if i screwed up on a couple classes during my AA degree and had to retake a couple classes a couple time but now in my second semester of my bachelors keep an upward trend I can not count myself out of medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have asked this question in other threads and have received replies. Go check them out.
Trying to gain more detailed insight specifically about autoscreens. I'm aware of the reinvention theory. I'm also aware of the replies in my other thread. I'm taking in input from as many people as possible trying to learn as much as possible about what the gauge is for autoscreens because, reinvention or not, if I can't get reviewed by anyone but a computer I'm out.

Have you had a sharp rising GPA trend?
Here is my story. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to start the med school recovery path since it would be a lot of trouble. I'm worried about being autoscreened out and not even reviewed by an adcom because of my GPA, reinvention or not (like I couldn't get my GPA high enough even with an upward trend). If I can gain confidence that my app will at least be looked at by some actual humans who can evaluate the reinvention and not just removed by a computer I will pursue it without hesitation, even if it will still be against all odds. If I'm just going to be taken out automatically, I'd rather not pursue it.
Hello. I finished college two years ago. I'm 27. It took me seven years to finish. My academic record is terrible. I changed my major a dozen times, took about half the pre-reqs for med school (re-took some of them) and have a 2.0 GPA in them, a 2.5 overall GPA, and a 2.0 overall STEM GPA. Terrible. I should have taken some time off before or during college to decide what I wanted to do. But I didn't. Somehow I networked my way into a great role as a financial analyst in a Fortune 100 company. I've been there almost two years and am doing well. In a couple of months I will be commissioned as an officer in the Marine Corps (I needed to get out of the cubicle life).

My question is this: Since I have gained some discipline through long-hour corporate work (and will continue to gain discipline as a Marine), if I were to take the remaining med school pre-reqs (I lack 5), do very well in them, and ace the MCAT (tough I know-this is a hypothetical) at night at a local university while in the Marines (4-5 years), would my application have any shot? It's a real dream to enter the medical profession. I can't see myself going back to sitting in a cubicle looking at a computer all day. I need to be active, helping and talking to people.

I know the great work experience and life/leadership experience from the military would look great, and I think I could make a case that I'm academically able to handle med school if I do well in the remaining courses and MCAT, but I'm just worried that my application would be rejected immediately because of my terrible GPA, even though it would be seven years in the past at the time of application.

If I have any legitimate shot at admission, I want to pursue it. I just don't want to go through all the trouble of taking lab classes while leading a Marine platoon for battle and dealing with my commanding officer's schedule during all that if my application is just going to get weeded out by some automated GPA/MCAT algorithm and never be seen by an actual human. This is hypothetical, but in your opinion, is this plan worth it at all? Thank you.

Here is my story. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to start the med school recovery path since it would be a lot of trouble. I'm worried about being autoscreened out and not even reviewed by an adcom because of my GPA, reinvention or not (like I couldn't get my GPA high enough even with an upward trend). If I can gain confidence that my app will at least be looked at by some actual humans who can evaluate the reinvention and not just removed by a computer I will pursue it without hesitation, even if it will still be against all odds. If I'm just going to be taken out automatically, I'd rather not pursue it.
There are MD schools that reward reinvention, as do all DO school. Best bet is via a SMP or postbac.
For MD, you need to ace (3.7+ GPA) and have a 513+ MCAT. For your state school, a 510+. For DO, 3.5+ and 508+

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting. Two years of 3.8 DIY postbacc and a 515 MCAT puts him in a decent place for MD schools, although Top 20s are out of the question.

There are MD schools that reward reinvention, as do all DO school. Best bet is via a SMP or postbac.
For MD, you need to ace (3.7+ GPA) and have a 513+ MCAT. For your state school, a 510+. For DO, 3.5+ and 508+
Great. Thanks. I believe that a lot of MD schools consider military applicants as in-state residency. If that's true, that should help. So it's your belief that if I do a postbac with a 3.7 and 513+ I will actually be looked at by most of the adcoms and not autoscreened out (with a 2.5 undergrad GPA...)?

Great. Thanks. I believe that a lot of MD schools consider military applicants as in-state residency. If that's true, that should help. So it's your belief that if I do a postbac with a 3.7 and 513+ I will actually be looked at by most of the adcoms and not autoscreened out (with a 2.5 undergrad GPA...)?
Yup. Did you know someone with a 2.9 GPA made it into Vandy?

Reactions: 1 user
Yup. Did you know someone with a 2.9 GPA made it into Vandy?
Can you tell us if they were URMs, veterans, refugees, first authors on a Nature paper, extremely connected, made six-figure donations, or had other unusual circumstances that would allow them to be admitted to schools like Vanderbilt? It seems that even a 2.9/523 that did badly the first time in college, then came back and earned three straight years of 4.0 and had thousands of hours of volunteering would have quite an uphill battle at schools like Vandy without something extraordinary.