MD schools that are in unsafe areas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's truly amusing the number of Chicago college students who have no idea where the med schools are actually located. Also, the "it's sooooo scary!" from people who don't actually live here.

Loyola's Maywood campus isn't the type of place to be walking around in... but not because it's unsafe, because it's just simply not very walkable. There's a Subway and and Burger King north of campus, but otherwise, you're going to hop in your car and drive to Berwyn which is across the railroad tracks if you want food or something. Transit in and out barely exists except for the Pace Bus. Maywood is kind of a dump, but it's not like students are actually going to spend any time there off of the actual campus, and as I mentioned, it's right on the border of where Maywood meets Berwyn/Broadview, which are just boring middle class suburbs.

UIC and Rush are in the med district, which is kind of boring, but otherwise mostly walled off. I've taken the 50, the 49, the 9, and the 12, and the blue and pink lines through there hundreds of times. Aside from a lot of panhandling that goes on around campus it's not less safe than anywhere else in the city. The only reason not to live there is because you could take any of the N/S busses into school every morning and live in a cooler neighborhood like East Village for the same price, or Pilsen for less.

U of Chicago's campus is in Hyde Park, which (including Kenwood to the north) is basically an oasis of rich people on the south side, and is heavily patrolled by the university's private police force. The only way you're going to feel "unsafe" on that campus is if you're just naturally scared of cities. Transit could be better, but the express buses are easy to use to get downtown. And anyone who's never seen a Jazz show at Promontory is missing out.

Northwestern's med campus is 2 blocks from the Magnificent Miles shopping district, and your biggest fear there is being run off the sidewalk by a hoard of tourists, or having to wait in a long line at Starbucks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
East St. Louis SOM and Gary Indiana Medical School come to mind.

But seriously, It'll mostly be certain areas near these places. Just know where to avoid.

hhmm, when I interviewed at Loyola, I thought it would be wise to stay in a hotel 1 mile from where I was interviewed

the hotel was seedy, and I saw a drug deal go down in the parking lot, and heard a gunshot at some point

the area was very run down

students told me the campus was safe with security, however that no one lived in the area and everyone commuted because it wasn't safe to live in

take that for what you will, just my personal experience and what people who attended told me years ago

Are you talking about Maywood, IL where the Loyola Medical Center is? It has a very high crime rate.

You know what actually. I was thinking of Loyola University's campus instead of the medical campus. Lawls, my mistake! Guess it's in a sketchy area!

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, and I would be terrified of attending that school.

lol, I once had to drive through Gary because I was helping my dad at his work. I had to basically go with one of his nurses to go to a storage unit to get some old charts to sort out for shredding and stuff. Now let me tell you...Sketchy as hell.

Members don't see this ad :)
hhmm, when I interviewed at Loyola, I thought it would be wise to stay in a hotel 1 mile from where I was interviewed

the hotel was seedy, and I saw a drug deal go down in the parking lot, and heard a gunshot at some point

the area was very run down

students told me the campus was safe with security, however that no one lived in the area and everyone commuted because it wasn't safe to live in

take that for what you will, just my personal experience and what people who attended told me years ago

What town was hotel in? But yeah, no students actually live in Maywood. Lots in Forest Park, Oak Park, some in Berwyn, a decent number in Ukrainian Village or South Loop in the city...

(the scariest thing about Loyola would be the fact that you have to drive the death trap Eisenhower expressway to get there from the city.)

Shame (assuming you're a MI resident) you didn't attend MSU. I've heard their Flint campus is really nice.
Nebraska, actually! Haven't heard much about it. I wish I were a Michigan resident, 6 IS med schools.

it was maywood I think, dunno, it was *literally* a mile from where they have you interview to be a med student

Definitely Stanford.

Also UCLA and UCSD.

Maryland
Rutgers- njms
Cooper medical school of Rowan

Loyola - Yeah, Maywood is bad, but students live in Oak Park, Forest Park, Riverside, and they are all fine. Loyola is on the outskirts of Maywood. The hospital has great security. I have a lot of friends who live in various areas of Chicago, and many of them have had break-ins, etc. Is the surrounding area of Loyola safe to walk at night? No, but there are plenty of options for students to live in safe areas, and it shouldn't scare any people away.

I know this is all subjective but I think SUNY Downstate area is really nice, especially with the huge influx of white people and the gentrification of that area. It all depends how street smart you are, what I consider safe you might not

Really?:smack:

Wayne state is in Detroit, but the surrounding suburban areas are nice. MSU is not in Detroit though. It's an hour and a half away actually, which is about twice as far from Detroit as U of M, and U of M is definitely a nice area.
One of MSU's DO campuses is in Detroit. I posted the link showing that earlier in the thread.

One of MSU's DO campuses is in Detroit. I posted the link showing that earlier in the thread.

Plus MSU has campuses all over the state where they ship their students. They've been sending increasing numbers of students to Flint in the last few years. (and FWIW, I know quite a few people who've been assigned to that campus, and they all really liked it).

Definitely Stanford.

Also UCLA and UCSD.

Really? Don't know about Stanford but I feel like UCLA and UCSD are pretty nice areas.

USC on the other hand....

Really? Don't know about Stanford but I feel like UCLA and UCSD are pretty nice areas.

USC on the other hand....

He's joking. Palo Alto/Westwood/La Jolla are very wealthy and nice neighborhoods. They are also very boring.

He's joking. Palo Alto/Westwood/La Jolla are very wealthy and nice neighborhoods. They are also very boring.
Lol good. Throw in UCI and we have a list for most boring areas

Half this thread is "which SDN users don't know where the med schools are relative to the main campus".