MD self-experimentation discovery article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdmguy

Ex-DC CNIM CDM
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting article covering covering important discoveries by physicians who self-experimented.

I. Kerridge, Altruism or reckless curiosity? A brief history of self experimentation in medicine. Internal Medicine Journal 2003; 33: 203–207

Response from another thread-

The problem with that is the lag time. The only way to get funding for a clinical trial is probably National Institutes of Health funding. I've approached investigators with ideas but they often have other projects ahead in line so nothing gets done.

If a treatment has low risk, the patient consents in writing and it has the potential to improve care it should be tried. Again, repeatability and crossover challenge response weeds out the placebo effect. Once you're getting good repeatability then you can make a stronger case for a large trial.

I don't think it's ever been tried but Institution Review Boards should have provisions to review proposals for self experimentation.

Let's continue this subject in the other thread on self-experimentation because it is off topic.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: