MD to PharmD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2ndChances

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated from medical school (picking up an MPH along the way) and am currently 7 months into my internship in internal medicine. I've always had doubts about medicine and these doubts persist. I've been thinking of pursuing a second career in pharmacy. Have any of you heard of people leaving medicine for pharmacy (I know the opposite occurs)? Do you think pharmacy admissions committees will take me seriously?

I just think pharmacy offers a better lifestyle and is less stressful than being an MD where you are responsible for diagnosing and managing patients who have the potential to be very sick or have multiple medical issues. The uncertainty associated with practicing medicine (i.e. was my physical exam careful enough, should I have ordered an additional test, did I think about all the possible diagnoses, should I have worked up that isolated abnormal test result?) also has been difficult for me. The fact that patients are willing to sue at a drop of a hat only adds to the stress.

Pharmacy will allow me to still participate in the healthcare field and have patient contact (which I have always enjoyed), but with less direct responsibility for diagnosing and managing their health issues.

The only bad thing about making the switch is that I'll have to go to school for 4 more years (I've already been to school for 5 years for the MD/MPH) and that I will be adding to my already $100,000+ in debt...and of course my parents think I am making the biggest mistake of my life by leaving medicine...but I think it may be worth it if it means that I will be happier.

Any thoughts? Am I crazy?

Members don't see this ad.

2ndChances said:
I recently graduated from medical school (picking up an MPH along the way) and am currently 7 months into my internship in internal medicine. I've always had doubts about medicine and these doubts persist. I've been thinking of pursuing a second career in pharmacy. Have any of you heard of people leaving medicine for pharmacy (I know the opposite occurs)? Do you think pharmacy admissions committees will take me seriously?

I just think pharmacy offers a better lifestyle and is less stressful than being an MD where you are responsible for diagnosing and managing patients who have the potential to be very sick or have multiple medical issues. The uncertainty associated with practicing medicine (i.e. was my physical exam careful enough, should I have ordered an additional test, did I think about all the possible diagnoses, should I have worked up that isolated abnormal test result?) also has been difficult for me. The fact that patients are willing to sue at a drop of a hat only adds to the stress.

Pharmacy will allow me to still participate in the healthcare field and have patient contact (which I have always enjoyed), but with less direct responsibility for diagnosing and managing their health issues.

The only bad thing about making the switch is that I'll have to go to school for 4 more years (I've already been to school for 5 years for the MD/MPH) and that I will be adding to my already $100,000+ in debt...and of course my parents think I am making the biggest mistake of my life by leaving medicine...but I think it may be worth it if it means that I will be happier.

No, your not crazy.

By any chance, have you posted this type of question previously? I thought I remember this similar question being addressed. Anyways given you already have the MD/MPH, I am guessing that you are probably in some stage of residency training. I don't know how you would be perceived as an applicant to pharmacy school, but given that pharmacists are trying to evolve into healthcare practitioners w/ more responsibility; your desire to leave medicine b/c of some of the responsibilities may present as a deterrent to some admissions committees? I don't know, just guessing?

I understand your desire for a career change given the reasons you mentioned, but before you go off into the another career, remember "the grass always looks greener on the other side". An alternative may be to take some time out to "smell the roses" and pursue various avenues w/i medicine and/or the public health arena that may alleviate some of the stressors that concern you in medicine. Given you have the MPH, I would think that public health would provide an abundance of options (although paying considerably less than private practice MD) and/or the managed care/government system would also provide a less stressful environment. In particular the Veterans Affairs System may alleviate alot of the liability concerns, provide a consistent schedule, and possibly decrease pt load given the larger scope of practice of other "mid-level practitioners" (i.e. PAs, NPs, and clinical pharmacists w/ broad prescribing privileges). If all of that is still a turn off you could always use the MD/MPH to go into industry and/or focus on epidemiological research in clinical trials or other research aspects.

Basically you have two degrees already in the MD/MPH that provide a multitude of options so I'd explore them prior to going through another 4 yrs of pharmacy school and possibly another 1-2 yrs of pharmacy residency training just to find out that all professions have their "ups and downs" and at the end of the day, a lot of your enjoyment in your career is dependent on your ability to make the most out of the situation and maximize the various oppurtunities available.

Pharmacy may or may not have a better life style depending on where you end up. I like you would think very hard befor changing majors because each major has its own ups and downs. If the problem is with your confidence in your diagnosisng ability, that can be work on as you get more experience.

If you do decide to go pharmacy, you will make a great canadite for a teaching job of some sort. MD/,PH, PharmD. . . wow

Once again, think about what you are doing hard. There is a reason why there are malpratice insurances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both kwizard & anzfarmerboi gave you great responses and I would agree with them. I might suggest you may not have pursued your public health degree to the fullest extent possible. That offers a nice lifestyle without the stresses of individual patient diagnostics & treatment and with a nice degree of variablilty in areas of employment. I would encourage you to take some time off from pursuing degrees, if that is possible for you. Being a student, albeit a very capable student, is a "safe" lifestyle. Having to go out and use what you've actually learned can be difficult for any of us. Think about what actually gives you anxiety - is it putting into practice what you have learned or is it having to leave the safety of academics?

2ndChances said:

It can be done, according to AACP, the entering class for 2004, 4 out of 18 MD got accepted. Follow the link below. Good luck to you. Just becareful, you might not be happier. You could just change your misery around. So far, all I read is why you don't want to be an MD. You haven't told any of us why you want to be a pharmD, which are too different things. Go find something you enjoy going to work everyday. Trust me when I say, I know a lot of miserable pharmD as well.

http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/ForDeans/6228_Degree.pdf

hell
go for it...
i'm all about collecting some degrees

thank you all for your feedback. you're right, i really need to think things though. i need to fully explore the options available to me given my training thus far, before thinking about going back to school. sdn1977, point well taken --- in many ways, going back to school is a lot safer than facing the real world and applying what i should have learned...really good point. thanks again everyone. wish me luck!

2ndChances said:

I am exactly opposite! I am P1 but want to get MD after I graduate. I don't think medical admissions will take me seriously.

I think kwizard and sdn1977 make good points. In addittion to those responses, all I have to say is that I think that you would be making an enormous mistake. Adding to your already enormous debt, spending another 4 years in school learning what you already know better than most pharmacists and taking a job with less variety and less prestige (not that prestige is vital to everyone). And lets not forget the outrageous income differences between MD and PharmD, like 90k vs 200+k.

Confidence and comfort ability in your profession comes with time and experience. After a while you will become more comfortable and less stressed by your decisions and diagnoses.

Don't throw away an extraordinary and extremely prosperous life just because you're a little scared. I say man up, overcome and move on. You have already accomplished what hardly anyone else can (graduate from medical school).

I think the most important thing is how you feel - not what your parents or friends think. If you don't feel comfortable being M.D. - make changes in your life. I was kind of in a similar situation - I was a nurse, and I absolutely hated it. So I decided to become a pharmacist, although my family and my firends kept saying I was making a huge mistake, cause there is no guarantee I would get into pharm. school and second I would loose 4 years. And even though I will be old when I graduate (I will be 30), I am really happy I made that decision and didn't listen to anything but my heart.
P.S. Somebody mentioned money here. Sure, there is a huge difference in M.D. and RPh earnings, but remember one thing - people are NEVER EVER satisfied with how much money they make ( unless you are a billionaire). Good luck, man.

JohnHICP said:
I think kwizard and sdn1977 make good points. In addittion to those responses, all I have to say is that I think that you would be making an enormous mistake. Adding to your already enormous debt, spending another 4 years in school learning what you already know better than most pharmacists and taking a job with less variety and less prestige (not that prestige is vital to everyone). And lets not forget the outrageous income differences between MD and PharmD, like 90k vs 200+k.

Confidence and comfort ability in your profession comes with time and experience. After a while you will become more comfortable and less stressed by your decisions and diagnoses.

Don't throw away an extraordinary and extremely prosperous life just because you're a little scared. I say man up, overcome and move on. You have already accomplished what hardly anyone else can (graduate from medical school).

Johnny, I doubt you are going to convince everyone here as to which career is more prestigious on this board or any other message board you may troll. Career choices are more complex than simply looking at numbers or perceived prestige as your post suggests. I know and respect many physicians, pharmacists and nurses where I work. The ones that really enjoy their work and are good at what they do are not in it for the money. They have all said that there are easier ways to make what they make. To the original poster, I suspect you have already written down the pros and cons of your impending decision on paper. I too, have also been involved in difficult decisions and this exercise has always helped. In addition, I have confided in people I really trust and that know me well. Once you have completed these tasks, make your decision and don't look back. Good luck and I will be thinking about you.

prairie42 said:
Johnny, I doubt you are going to convince everyone here as to which career is more prestigious on this board or any other message board you may troll. Career choices are more complex than simply looking at numbers or perceived prestige as your post suggests. I know and respect many physicians, pharmacists and nurses where I work. The ones that really enjoy their work and are good at what they do are not in it for the money. They have all said that there are easier ways to make what they make. To the original poster, I suspect you have already written down the pros and cons of your impending decision on paper. I too, have also been involved in difficult decisions and this exercise has always helped. In addition, I have confided in people I really trust and that know me well. Once you have completed these tasks, make your decision and don't look back. Good luck and I will be thinking about you.
If you suspect that another user is trolling, please use the "report post" function instead of addressing them directly. I don't see anything in John's post that would indicate trolling. If you have further questions or concerns, please PM me. Thanks. :)

Just to clarify, alot of MDs and DOs who go into primary care end up with starting salaries similar to that of pharmacists. Family Practice and Internal Medicine are the two big specialties that tend to produce primary care physicians.

Members don't see this ad :)
bananaface said:
If you suspect that another user is trolling, please use the "report post" function instead of addressing them directly. I don't see anything in John's post that would indicate trolling. If you have further questions or concerns, please PM me. Thanks. :)

Just to clarify, alot of MDs and DOs who go into primary care end up with starting salaries similar to that of pharmacists. Family Practice and Internal Medicine are the two big specialties that tend to produce primary care physicians.

Thanks for the info, I will do that.

I have a cousin who's an M.D. who was going through something similar. He battled bouts of depression throughout medical school and after he graduated, even seriously contemplating suicide a few times. He used to say he regretted going through medical school and wished he went to pharmacy school instead. Eventually though, he got better and finished his residency in internal medicine. Even though he still tells me that if he had to do it all over again he would have gone to pharmacy school, he now enjoys being a physician and working in his practice seeing his patients.

Hi,

Have you considered switching into another medical field rather than leaving medicine entirely?

Perhaps fields with fewer "sick" patients may be more to your liking, such as PM&R (physical medicine and rehab) or psychiatry.

Alternately, you could leave patients behind entirely and enter pathology. You'll still have a lot of reponsibility to make the correct diagnosis as well as people contact in talking to your colleagues, but some people find it a lot easier to take on the burden when there aren't a bunch of patients clamoring for your attention. As a bonus, pathology isn't that hard to match. Have a look in the pathology boards in the residency forum - they're a friendly group and quite willing to give advice.

Good luck with whatever you decide! :luck: :)

Hey Dude-
Interesting situation. I'm about to graduate med school, and to be perfectly honest, I couldn't imagine going from being a physician to a pharmacist. No diss on pharmacists or anything (Lord knows the pharm residents at my school have saved my butt a thousand times), but the plan of attack starts from the MD and they are the ones that get to call the shots.
But, back to your situation. Honestly, you seem to be more anti-medicine than pro-pharm; like you seem to have good reasons to want to not be a practicing physician, and you're looking for something different to do. Not that pharm is a bad option. A couple of my friends are pharmacists for walgreens and target and they are two yrs out and have nice houses, great lifestyle, etc. If I were you, though, I'd finish my intern year, take step 3 and apply for a license. Once you have a license, leave, and consider one of the following options:
1) Different specialty: I dunno, man. Internal medicine seems like a bunch of headaches. Why not something like Anesthesia or Psych? For whatever reason, my home program tends to take a lot of former surgery, OB, and medicine residents into their Anesthesia program. It seems the specialty of choice for the wayward wandering types. ;) Anesthesia has a great lifestyle. Psych is pretty cool, too, and not horribly comptetive.
2) Law School: Now, as a future MD, I detest lawyers. Man, do I hate lawyers. On the otherhand, the make major dough (especially MD/JDs) and law school is only 3 yrs as opposed to the 4 of Pharm School. I've heard (and this is totally hearsay) that MD/JDs tend to make in the neighborhood of 500-700k. And they are usually hired by insurance companies, so you wont be screwing your old colleagues; more likely defending them from ambulance chasers. Malpractice for an attorney is like 1/20th the cost as for your avg MD. But then again, I hate lawyers, and you seem like too nice a guy.
3) Consulting: There are companies that are looking for MDs for consulting positions. I guess this is one of those careers that are suited for some people and not for others. You work on projects for a few months, usually a lot of travelling, decent paycheck, great benefits. Could be really fun or really tiring. Check out http://www.mckinsey.com.
4) Dentistry: You already have a lot of knowlesge of physio, drugs, abx, etc so you could be a dentist. Dentist get sued and have a lot of the same crap that PCPs deal with, but it seems a lot sunnier. Especially if you get into one of those specialties like orthodontics or cosmetic dentsitry. My dentist's office is waaaay nicer than any doctor's office I've ever seen.

Or you can move to Cicely, Alaska and treat eskimos.

Good Luck, Dude.

Hey Dude-
Interesting situation. I'm about to graduate med school, and to be perfectly honest, I couldn't imagine going from being a physician to a pharmacist. No diss on pharmacists or anything (Lord knows the pharm residents at my school have saved my butt a thousand times), but the plan of attack starts from the MD and they are the ones that get to call the shots.
But, back to your situation. Honestly, you seem to be more anti-medicine than pro-pharm; like you seem to have good reasons to want to not be a practicing physician, and you're looking for something different to do. Not that pharm is a bad option. A couple of my friends are pharmacists for walgreens and target and they are two yrs out and have nice houses, great lifestyle, etc. If I were you, though, I'd finish my intern year, take step 3 and apply for a license. Once you have a license, leave, and consider one of the following options:
1) Different specialty: I dunno, man. Internal medicine seems like a bunch of headaches. Why not something like Anesthesia or Psych? For whatever reason, my home program tends to take a lot of former surgery, OB, and medicine residents into their Anesthesia program. It seems the specialty of choice for the wayward wandering types. ;) Anesthesia has a great lifestyle. Psych is pretty cool, too, and not horribly comptetive.
2) Law School: Now, as a future MD, I detest lawyers. Man, do I hate lawyers. On the otherhand, the make major dough (especially MD/JDs) and law school is only 3 yrs as opposed to the 4 of Pharm School. I've heard (and this is totally hearsay) that MD/JDs tend to make in the neighborhood of 500-700k. And they are usually hired by insurance companies, so you wont be screwing your old colleagues; more likely defending them from ambulance chasers. Malpractice for an attorney is like 1/20th the cost as for your avg MD. But then again, I hate lawyers, and you seem like too nice a guy.
3) Consulting: There are companies that are looking for MDs for consulting positions. I guess this is one of those careers that are suited for some people and not for others. You work on projects for a few months, usually a lot of travelling, decent paycheck, great benefits. Could be really fun or really tiring. Check out http://www.mckinsey.com.
4) Dentistry: You already have a lot of knowlesge of physio, drugs, abx, etc so you could be a dentist. Dentist get sued and have a lot of the same crap that PCPs deal with, but it seems a lot sunnier. Especially if you get into one of those specialties like orthodontics or cosmetic dentsitry. My dentist's office is waaaay nicer than any doctor's office I've ever seen.

Or you can move to Cicely, Alaska and treat eskimos.

Good Luck, Dude.

To me an internal medicine or psych doc is just a glorified clinical pharmacist anyway. I don't see that you would be any happier going pharmacy. It is not worth the debt. I agree with the other posters in that there are several options that you can do with a MD. Thats what I like about the pharmD as well, because there are so many options that you can do with your doctoral degree. I hate to tell you, but some pharmD's have the same stress levels as docs.

2ndChances said:

hi 2nd chances

you posted this quite a while ago, so i don't know how accurate the thoughts presented are anymore, but i have to admit - i found your post very fascinating.

i know people who went into medicine miserable. for most people, things got better. but they all continued to wish they had done their "passion" e.g PhD in mathematics, engineering etc. all were forced into medicine by parents.

another poster above suggested switching specialties, or even trying dentistry - i think both are very reasonable suggestions. research a bit - but once u think ur sure - go for it. if ur sure pharm will give u the lifestyle u want, then do it. do have any interest in optometry?

in any case - as for your question, "Do you think pharmacy admissions committees will take me seriously?", i think if you write a well-presented personal statement, outlining clearly your reasons for wanting to become a pharmacist, then you will be an outstanding candidate. imagine where pharmacy would be if ALL pharmacists went through medicine before studying pharmacy...

JohnUNLV said:

It's not that outrageous, many pharmacists do overtime, and work roughly the same hours a salaried doctor does, and can make upwards of 200,000 grand, easily surrpassing IM, FP, psychiatry and peds. If you go to anesthesia, or rads, plastics, ortho, pharmacists is clearly below. But you are making an income, while a doctor is still in school. Also many pharmacists do 7 on 7 off, they just make a killing, by working on their days off, killer money.

If you are really worried about being sued then I would look for a physician position in government (VA, NIH, CDC, military etc...) They can't be sued because they are covered by the government plan and patients cant sue, just FYI....As far as the salary goes, it runs the gambit these days....I personally know pharmacists who make starting salaries from 95 - 130k in addition to bonuses and moving expenses. (One guy in my class made close to 200k last year by working nights and overtime, but of course he is single) MD/DOs range from 80-120k for family med/pediatrics to 600k+ for radiologists/anesthesiologists....Honestly you could pay me nothing and I would still love pharmacy and medicine, but then you cant pay the rent with personal satisfaction, LOL

2ndChances said:

Not sure about the crazy stuff, but if MacGyver would see it , he would be rolling in his grave :)

2ndChances said:

You are crazy, finish your residency then go from there, you will have unlimited opportunities with your MD and residency and it does not have to be high stress and it will pay double what you will make as a PharmD. Not to mention the lost wages of 4 years going to school again and the loans you have to occur again. Dont screw your life over, get your MD, finish your residency and explore ALL your options and your MD will give you unlimited options from consulting, to administration, to teaching, to working for coporate america, etc... I hope your OP was not a troll to begin with because I do not think anyone with their right mind will do what you are considering to do... :thumbdown:

So I see this interesting conversation started way back in JANUARY 2006. Any epilogue???? So what have you decided to do 2ndChance?? I hoped that you chose to continue and finish meds, residencies before you decide "collect" other degrees.

This conversation brought up interesting questions and answers. Yes! grass always greener on the other side. Yes there's stress on both side. I graduated pharmacy school last year (2005). My husband is a 4th year medical school stud. let me tell you. I come home all stressed out complaining about my CVS job. then he stressed out being in school. wishing he was me.

Anyhow. one of the responses mentioned something about MD/JD. What about a PharmD/JD?? any thoughts on that? What will they make? What can/will they do? what are their responsibilities? what are the stress level? any life?
I tried to compute and estimate. I would have to go through 3 years of law school, pay the school roughly $30k per year for tuition, loose opportunity cost being a pharmacist $100K per year, totalling 390K (after 3years) not accounting living cost. so if i grad and have to intern as a pharmd/jd making 40k for a year or two, then start talking about making "POTENTIAL" (not actual or realistic) money ---> then i m talking about break even in 8 years.)

It is worth the hell/trouble? just for the title? just for "collecting degree" what's the probability i will be making good money ($500k/ per year) working 40 to 60 hours, with doable stress, and have a life???

Peanut Butter said:
Anyhow. one of the responses mentioned something about MD/JD. What about a PharmD/JD?? any thoughts on that? What will they make? What can/will they do? what are their responsibilities? what are the stress level? any life?
I tried to compute and estimate. I would have to go through 3 years of law school, pay the school roughly $30k per year for tuition, loose opportunity cost being a pharmacist $100K per year, totalling 390K (after 3years) not accounting living cost. so if i grad and have to intern as a pharmd/jd making 40k for a year or two, then start talking about making "POTENTIAL" (not actual or realistic) money ---> then i m talking about break even in 8 years.)

It is worth the hell/trouble? just for the title? just for "collecting degree" what's the probability i will be making good money ($500k/ per year) working 40 to 60 hours, with doable stress, and have a life???
My opinion is that this scenario would be completely impossible. First of all, starting lawyers in a situation with the potential for 500K a year work far, far more than 40 to 60 hours a week, and will have to do that until they make partner. I'm not sure if you grew up wealthy or if your perception is just skewed because you and your husband are highly educated, but 500K a year is not "good" money - it's more money than the vast, vast majority of people will ever come close to making in a year. Do you and your husband's life plans include children in the future, and if so - how do you plan to manage your child-rearing vs. both of you working 60 or more hours per week?? While I think many of us who are pursuing pharmacy want and expect a good financial payoff, there's more to life than making lots of money, even if it may not seem like it while you are young.

i would suggest not to leave doctor field. u will be fine afterwards getting some experience in ur field. if u think pharmacy is not stressfull, tht's dead wrong. if u want to find out, just get some part-time work in a drug store.

2ndChances said:

In short, yes you would be crazy. The absolute thing that separates medicine from all the others are the unlimited options you will have. I have done (in 6 years): work comp, ER, urgent care, newborns, nursing homes, and of course traditional outpatient FP. I recently got an MBA and now do part-time clinical outpatient and part time medical director for an insurance company. The possibilities with an MD trumps any other degrees. You are a resident, an intern at that, life sucks, I know, been there, done that. If you are going to throw away your whole future b/c of your stress of internship, there is nothing more I can say then to stick it out! It gets better, promise ya.

My advice, hang around with other Dr.'s who are probably feeling the same kind of things. I would use your current degrees to earn a living. The MD is probably the best degree to have.

Peanut Butter said:
So I see this interesting conversation started way back in JANUARY 2006. Any epilogue???? So what have you decided to do 2ndChance?? I hoped that you chose to continue and finish meds, residencies before you decide "collect" other degrees.

This conversation brought up interesting questions and answers. Yes! grass always greener on the other side. Yes there's stress on both side. I graduated pharmacy school last year (2005). My husband is a 4th year medical school stud. let me tell you. I come home all stressed out complaining about my CVS job. then he stressed out being in school. wishing he was me.

It's very telling the OP never came back......wonder if he was a troll????

Anyway...your question about a PharmD/JD - yes it is done. In fact, a classmate of mine did this. It is a very lucerative field actually.
But...you have to have a desire for law AND pharmacy - an unusual combination, but one which can be interesting for sure.

I have no idea what he makes - his compensation is on par with lawyers since he practices law, but with a specific interest in malpractice, etc...he does no family law, wills, etc....

It makes for interesting conversations at alumni meetings!

2ndChances said:

You would not be able to repay your loans (med school + pharm school) on a pharmacists' salary. End of story.

You can leave medicine if you want, but you can't realistically go back to school for a job with a lesser salary until you can pay your own way without loans.