MD-to-PharmD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caribmedstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year med student going onto 4th. I'm pretty much done with all the hard stuff in medical school save the Step II, which I'm taking next week. I should be applying to residency programs in the next couple of months. However, during my clinical years I've been coming to a realization that I may not be especially well-suited for practice of clinical medicine. I won't provide too much detail, but I still intend to finish med school and get the MD degree, even if I decide not to go into a clinical residency. Among my current options is a possibility of going into pharmacy. Are there any specialized MD to Pharmacy tracks that don't take as long to finish as if I'd be going straight from undergrad or do I still have to do the full course of pharm school as everyone else? Thanks for reading this. I appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 3rd year med student going onto 4th. I'm pretty much done with all the hard stuff in medical school save the Step II, which I'm taking next week. I should be applying to residency programs in the next couple of months. However, during my clinical years I've been coming to a realization that I may not be especially well-suited for practice of clinical medicine. I won't provide too much detail, but I still intend to finish med school and get the MD degree, even if I decide not to go into a clinical residency. Among my current options is a possibility of going into pharmacy. Are there any specialized MD to Pharmacy tracks that don't take as long to finish as if I'd be going straight from undergrad or do I still have to do the full course of pharm school as everyone else? Thanks for reading this. I appreciate your help.

I believe you would have to complete the full course of pharmacy school, however, I could be wrong. You may be interested in searching for a user who posts under the name SobeGekko. He received his MD, began a Family Medicine residency, then quit to pursue a PharmD degree from the University of Minnesota. He would be someone who may have looked into the type of program you are inquiring about. I am not sure if this individual is currently posting on these boards, but you can peruse his previous posts to get an idea about how he made the transition.