MD vs. DO Emergency Residency?

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by doc3341, Apr 29, 2004.

1. doc3341

doc3341 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey everyone, I was just wondering what the difference between MD and DO residencies were? More specifically, what reasons wouold a DO graduate want to pursue an MD EM residency over a DO residency?? Thanks in advance :D :D :idea: :idea: :idea:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you look at the osteopathic yearbook that is printed every year they give stats on why DO students choose allopathic residencies. The 2 biggest reasons each year are always "perception of better training" and "location". Also lack of availability of osteopathic residencies in their specialty of choice.

Personally I think you need to go with the individual program that fits you best, allopathic or osteopathic. I'm only an MSII so I dont speak from experience, but this is the advice I have been given.

3. Quimby2

Quimby2 Member
    7+ Year Member

I am a DO just starting an MD residency this July. Why? Yeah, I agree with the above, location has a lot to do with it. To date there are no CA DO EM programs (one starting in Colton this up coming year i believe). Additionally, I was looking for a larger hospital with a variety of other residencies. It seems like the best teaching is available from those services that have residents (my experience from med school).

One of the problems I also had was with the match system. Since DO's match first, I could have been pulled from the MD match and never had a shot at my first choice West Coast programs. A combined match may have gotten me to apply to DO programs as well.

In term of which is better: Who knows? I hear good things about some of the DO EM programs in OH and MI.

Also, keep in mind EM is a very DO friendly specialty. (not sure why vs. other specialties).

4. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I chose to do an MD EM residency on several factors, of which some are intangible. I had never done an DO EM elective rotatoin, but did do my cores at a place that was "thinking of getting an IM/EM combined residency." Let me tell you, that this ED sees probably 15k a year, and is half run by DO FP attendings.

I also know of one DO EM residency that my friend was at, that either lost its accredidation or lost its funding, halfway through the year... she later had ot scramble into another DO EM residency, that purportedly is going to have funding/accredidation troubles.

You cannot go wrong with most MD EM residencies. MD residencies in general are under a lot more scrutiny than their DO counterparts.

That being said, there are a few good DO EM residencies out there. I believe Chicago has one. Doctor's in OH is also good. I also hear good things about a NY program whose name eludes me. There are good ones out there, though!

Q, DO

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DocWagner

DocWagner Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ditto that statement.

go to www.saem.org for some additional info.

6. doc3341

doc3341 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks a lot for all the helpfull responses, it really cleared up many of the my questions! On a similar note, have any of you heard good things regarding the EM residency at Mount Sinai down in Miami Florida??

7. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I know the Mt. Sinai program pretty well, I was the Veep of the EMIG at NSUCOM, and had lots of contact with the residents and what-not at their program.

You should form your own opinion of hte program, however... you'll find there are two very distinct groups of people who have their thoughts on the program. Try not to be dissuaded by either side but listen to the objective evidence.

Q, DO