MD vs. DO residency. Please explain!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luv2Dance

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am only a first year so this whole matching into a residency process is very confusing. Here's my question: What is it about the different residincies that makes the osteopathic students want to apply for MD residencies vs DO? Is it mainly the location and the fact that there aren't too many DO programs out there in a specific hospital? Or is it the fact that DO programs don't have a specific specialty that students want? Is it money? Prestige? I know that some prorams require a one year internship but that is only in certain states. What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing a DO or an MD program as a DO? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

it's probably a combination of all those things, minus the "money" issue. Residencies in general pay the same nation wide.
From my standpoint, and from what I've heard 4th years talk about (I'm a 3rd year), the quality of education and training is generally better at an ACGME program (MD) for specialties, sub-specialty fellowships, and competitive fields (ie. rads, ophtho, cardio, derm...).
Primary care is primary care...there are FP residencies everywhere you look, ACGME and AOA, and it may not matter as much.

Personally, I plan on going ACGME because of 1.) location, and 2.) strength of the programs I plan on applying to.
Yeah, there's some good AOA residencies out there in every field (minus a few), and you're going to be able to get a job after residency no matter where you go. But that doesn't mean you'll get the same level of training.

Members don't see this ad :)
surveys of med students and residents have shown that the #1 factor in selecting residency programs of interest is location.

This is can wholeheartedly believe!

What I find continuously annoying, not unlike the reasons surrounding MD vs DO, is that the quality of DO residencies might also be in question! Does it ever end?!! Sheesh!

This is can wholeheartedly believe!

What I find continuously annoying, not unlike the reasons surrounding MD vs DO, is that the quality of DO residencies might also be in question! Does it ever end?!! Sheesh!
its like anything else...there are good and bad programs... just do your homework and you'll be fine

Here's a question that this topic made me think of: If a D.O. sucessfully completes an allopathic residency and takes the ABFM (as opposed to the NBOME) board exam, is he or she still able to be reimbursed for OMT in private practice?

The thing I'm having trouble with is that it looks like so many require that one year internship before starting your specialty residency. Not just the 5 states. (Like I was looking at UMDNJ's site and they state that is a requirement for their programs!) So (unless I don't understand, which is highly possible) you're basically adding a year onto your residency training by going osteo - which is insane!

you're not necesarily adding on extra time because some of the internships are integated into the residencies. do a search of the forums and you'll find more info.

there is most definitely a question about the quality of AOA residencies...
personally, i've spoken to a handful of programs who don't have a set number of didactic teaching sessions (or if they do, it isn't followed) To some this isn't such a bad thing...but i feel that residency is a continuation of my medical education...not simply a time for me to work as a doctor but be paid as a tech.
Also, a few programs didn't have caps, dedicated faculty, or near enough patients to make for an adequate experience (ie: in a small rural community hospital).
I know some of you will be thinking this can also be the case in ACGME programs...but averaging everything out, i would call this the exception to the rule in the ACGME world and par for the course in the AOA world.

Also, 80% of DO residencies are in 5 states...the western most being ohio.

The thing I'm having trouble with is that it looks like so many require that one year internship before starting your specialty residency. Not just the 5 states. (Like I was looking at UMDNJ's site and they state that is a requirement for their programs!) So (unless I don't understand, which is highly possible) you're basically adding a year onto your residency training by going osteo - which is insane!

What does this mean, exactly? To graduate from UMDNJ you must do the internship year? :confused:

but you start your residencies as a pgy-2 most of the time. allos have "internships" too. Its called the pgy-1 year

Here's a question that this topic made me think of: If a D.O. sucessfully completes an allopathic residency and takes the ABFM (as opposed to the NBOME) board exam, is he or she still able to be reimbursed for OMT in private practice?

You don't even need to be a DO for that.

yea! I tell people I've been accepted to osteopathic school for next year and I'm making $50/hour performing OMM on them a couple of hours a day! Soon enough I won't need loans for next year.

:laugh: OMM is paying off already!

yea! I tell people I've been accepted to osteopathic school for next year and I'm making $50/hour performing OMM on them a couple of hours a day! Soon enough I won't need loans for next year.
dude we don't learn the "happy ending" in school....you might have to lower the rates after dropping that part of the routine...sorry

What are those 5 states in which 80% of the d.o. residencies are located?
Also, as a generality, is it harder to secure a MD residency?

the stats were in a recent jaoa or another do magazine that we get...
if i remember they were new york, pen, ohio, michigan and florida...but i'm not 100% on that.