MD vs. DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NextJamesAndrews12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been accepted to both MD and DO schools and am having a hard time deciding which would be the better path to take. I was accepted at MSUCOM, one of the top DO schools in the country, and Central Michigan School of Medicine, a newer MD school that will not graduate their first class until next year. I know many people say that any MD degree would make life easier than taking the DO route, but would attending a top DO school like MSUCOM make me a more competitive residency applicant than an MD grad from a new school? MSUCOM also starts in June and I am waitlisted at MSUCHM and Wayne State (who has a lot of waitlist movement in later months). Attending MSUCOM would take me out of the running for those schools in June when I would matriculate. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

but would attending a top DO school like MSUCOM make me a more competitive residency applicant than an MD grad from a new school?

In the name of the Great Almighty Search Bar, for the 10,000th time NO.

Attending MSUCOM would take me out of the running for those schools in June when I would matriculate

No you drop out of the DO school if you get off the waitlist.

Reactions: 4 users
In the name of the Great Almighty Search Bar, for the 10,000th time NO.

No you drop out of the DO school if you get off the waitlist.
I thought matriculating anywhere takes you out of the running? Or is that just to another MD school?

Members don't see this ad :)
MD vs DO thread cool waiting for that URM one to drop soon

Reactions: 4 users
Amen!

Taking a place in DO school will not remove from taking WL if offered. However, each DO school sets there own policies on deposit refunds and you will most likely lose it when taking WL in MD schools. MD school's deposit policy for WL movement are set by AAMC guideline
I was under the impression that you just lose your deposit once you matriculate elsewhere, correct?

Go where you think you'll be happiest. It's like picking an apartment. It's really just a place to sleep and poop. (replace sleep and poop with study) (actually don't)

Reactions: 1 user
In DO yes, but MD has deposit limits. You have two deposits for MD. First is when you get an acceptance, usually not a significant amount (I think AAMC has $100 limit). But when 4/30 comes and you have to decide on a single school, you get a pre-matriculation deposit, which can be substantial. If I am not mistaken, if you then take a WL spot, this pre-matriculation deposit is refunded by original institution

https://www.aamc.org/download/364264/data/2014trafficrules.pdf
7)(Change) Each school's pre-enrollment deposit should not exceed $100 and (except for EDP
applicants) be refundable until April 30. If the applicant enrolls at the school, the school should
credit the deposit toward tuition. All schools should not to require additional deposits or
matriculation fees prior to matriculation. This change aligns the traffic rule date changes
and defines a deposit as any pre-enrollment deposit.
Oh okay, damn I wish DO schools had limits like that. MSUCOM was a grand o_O

Hate to hijack a thread, but just to clarify, if accepted to an MD off the waitlist in July or August, and already matriculated to a DO school that starts in July, it would be perfectly acceptable to drop out of the DO and matriculate to the MD? There won't be any issues? Outside of loss of funds of course.

Sometimes the title of the thread says it all. I did not read any of your thread. You should go to any MD school above any DO school. If you cannot get into an MD school then you should go to a DO school. If you cannot get into a DO school, you should pursue a different career. If you have a Caribbean acceptance in front of you and a gun to your head at the same time, you should accept it, but that is the only time. I will now post this and go read your thread and edit if there are any changes in my advice.

Edit: After reading your thread, I do not wish to change anything I wrote.

Reactions: 6 users
Holy hell not again.... There isn't even an attempt to change the title for crying out :bang:

Sometimes the title of the thread says it all. I did not read any of your thread. You should go to any MD school above any DO school. If you cannot get into an MD school then you should go to a DO school. If you cannot get into a DO school, you should pursue a different career. If you have a Caribbean acceptance in front of you and a gun to your head at the same time, you should accept it, but that is the only time. I will now post this and go read your thread and edit if there are any changes in my advice.

Edit: After reading your thread, I do not wish to change anything I wrote.

Lmao.

The school could sue you for damages by creating a seat that longer be filled.

That would be idiotic without a contractual agreement not to voluntarily drop out of the school. Imagine what would happen if you never showed up to the DO school and never paid them but never officially dropped out either. What do you think would happen? Would they threaten to sue you if you didn't come back to school? What do you think they would do when you told them you didn't intend to pay them?

The real danger in this scenario is not the DO school. The real danger is the MD school finding out about it and dumping you for ethical reasons in the setting of an almost certain written policy forbidding dual matriculation to give them cause to kick you out.