MD vs. MD-PhD: and related questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD or MD-PhD

• MD

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • MD-PhD

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

NapoleonBonaparte

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating between MD vs. MD-PhD. I know there are many threads on this and I've read all of them and still feel uncertain. I think I'm competitive for both and it's really a decision of what's best for my career.

Briefly about me:

MCAT: 524; GPA: 4.00

Research: continuously since HS, 2 labs, 4 papers (Cell, Nature Medicine, etc.), 1 first-author review, 4 posters

Clinical Volunteering: 250 hours in geriatrics (started my own music therapy sessions at the end of it with my school's support)

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 250 hours in school's Habitat for Humanity chapter (mid-level leadership)

Shadowing: 150 hours (neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, primary care GI)

Extra-curriculars:

1. Healthtech startup co-founder and CEO ($50,000 in funding, $30,000 from our own school; various articles/interivews written about us)
1. Goldwater Scholarship for research
3. Editor-in-chief of school's science publication
2. Student government member for the campus volunteer organizations
3. TA for bio department (2 different classes)
4. Mid-level leadership in school's intramural running club
5. Vice president of school's table tennis club
6. Deputy editor for a national undergraduate science journal
7. Designated upon matriculation as entering class' top 10 research students with 4 years of funding.

So, here are my questions:

1. My ideal life is a surgical career (60%) with lab (40%): I know this can and will change over med school. But, is this possible or am I smoking some strong stuff? And if possible, is MD or MD-PhD better suited? I don't want to give up research, but if I **HAD** to choose 1 because time constraints, I prefer clinical practice by a hair

2. For specialties like neuro where MD-PhDs are somewhat more common than other surgical specialties, is that the PhD itself helps or is it the research output you get out of the PhD. If it's the latter, I assume there are other ways one can be productive in the lab.

2. I'm thinking going MD for now and either rack up research just as MD or take time off. Or even apply internally MD-PhD. Is this ill-advised?

3. I see various research heavy faculty members at prestigious surgery departments. (Edward Chang, UCSF Neurosurg: http://changlab.ucsf.edu/) Do these guys actually do a significant amount of surgical cases too? Or do these guys do the research while a separate group of faculty do all the patient work?

4. Is it possible to change research fields from undergrad to MD (regardless of MD vs. MD PhD)?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine how a combined degree is appropriate if you want to spend 60% of your career doing surgeries. And your hypothetical in 1) makes pursuing a MD/PhD somewhat questionable.

Reactions: 1 user
We would not interview you based on the 60/40 split and neurosurgery. Otherwise, your application looks strong.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A physician scientist career is full of struggle and sacrifice, especially in surgical specialties. If you prefer clinics, you will probably end up there given that research jobs pay less, work you harder, and yet are still more competitive.

You can't run a lab on 40% research time. You need to be aiming for 80% even if there's a chance you won't make it. You aiming so low from the start is a serious red flag for program directors who are trying to train scientists.

Nothing wrong with doing research during medical school or a year our program.

Some of your other questions require a surgeon to answer.

Reactions: 4 users
Neurosurgery has the highest proportion of MD/PhDs next to Rad Onc. There are two years of dedicated research time in most top academic programs. I cannot think of a friendlier surgical specialty for the neurosurgeon scientist.

Reactions: 1 users