MD vs MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverBvllet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only have 2 schools to hear back from, rejected from the rest. Accepted at 2 for MD only though. Any suggestions on whether to reapply or just take the MD only and reapply internally? These places have taken like 1 internal applicant in the last 5 years. :\

Members don't see this ad.

I only have 2 schools to hear back from, rejected from the rest. Accepted at 2 for MD only though. Any suggestions on whether to reapply or just take the MD only and reapply internally? These places have taken like 1 internal applicant in the last 5 years. :\

Hi SilverBvllet,

Last year I was accepted at 1 MD program and 1 MD/PhD program that I really didn't want to attend after interviewing. I reapplied [pause for flame war], but everything turned out fine. I got into 1 MSTP and 1 MD program that I really like.

My advice is for you to consider two factors:

1. Do you like the MD programs that accepted you? If so, go to question #2, otherwise consider reapplying.

2. Is the financial hardship of MD training prohibitive to your future? If so, reapply. You can always do a PhD after an MD, so it's really a question of money and the slightly shortened curriculum of combined training.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, however -- because none of the schools that interviewed me last year interviewed me this year. I interviewed at 5 completely different schools this year than last...

Naijaba

Are you waitlisted at the other two schools? If so there's atleast a chance there and possibly a good one. Most schools will have waitlist activity and you making sure those schools know you're still very interested can mean a lot when it gets down to the deadline for them to complete their class.

If you're considering taking a year off, first be sure you know what your weakness is. Is something you can do over the next year going to aleviate that deficiency? I forget the statistic exactly, but I believe the vast majority of people who receive two interviews or more get atleast one acceptance. Considering you had over two interviews, my guess would be your numbers, essays, etc are atleast decent and that it is something during your interviews that is turning people off. Were you well rehearsed on talking about your research? Were you really nervous? Did people seem interested in what you were saying about your research experience?... etc. You don't need to answer these questions here but they're things to think about that are all pretty critical to you getting in.

It is good that you checked how many internal applicants they have accepted at that MD program- most don't think about this. Those stats sound bad. If you do choose to attend the MD program do so only if you would be happy with the debt and without the acceptance into the md-phd program. See if the MD-Phd director at this school will have a very blunt conversation with you about why they didn't accept you as an MD-PhD student and if he/she believes that can change after your first year of medical school.

If you really want the PhD and you think you can fix whatever went wrong this season, I'd highly suggest you reapply. Trying to do a PhD after medical school will be hell considering the debt you will be in and how many more years it is going to add till you have the hope of a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Sorry to hear about your situation but on the bright side you've gotten into a medical school! If you like the school I would definitely consider going, if you don't like it then consider reapplying. When I went into the application cycle I told myself if I didn't get into any MD/PhD programs and only got MD acceptances then I would do the MD program and take it as a sign I should go into a field where I could make a ton of money (lol). If you do the MD only you can still do research in many different capacities. If you decide to reapply you face the challenge of finding something to do for a year, if you can get a job working in a lab for a year it would probably help your application and you might get into a program next cycle, although a lot depends on MCAT and GPA if those were problems this may not help. I have to say it's probably tough to give up an MD acceptance and the career security that goes along with that. Whatever you decide good luck!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I don't know if I should wait a year...that's the hardest part. Also I think the weakest part of my app is my GPA, which is difficult to improve in a year. MCAT is 40+, and I have one paper that was just accepted (another in review). Right now it seems taking the MD is the way to go...I am ok with the schools because I did not apply to any I would not have gone to if accepted. But no MD/PhD...I guess I'll have to do the postdoc route? Anyways, I have 2 more schools to hear back from (1 no interview yet...probably silent rejection :/, another one I interviewed and verdict will be coming soon). Thanks again.

Well, be sure to update the appropriate schools (if you haven't already) that you have had a publication accepted and have another in review. With a 40+ MCAT and that kind of research background it is pretty odd you don't have more options.

What was your interview to application ratio? This might tell you something about the quality of your essays and letters of recommendation. Do you know for sure that your letters were strong?

Really think about what you've been saying in your interviews and whether it is in-line with the philosophy of MD-PhD programs. Unless your GPA is just horrible (and even if it is) I would bet there are definitely other factors working against you. Again, if those are things you think you can improve, I think it would be worth reapplying. Just my opinion though. While the "job security" of an MD is an okay thing to have, if you see yourself in research in the future and with$200k in debt, that job security won't be to comfortable on the salary of a post doc. The truth is that if you're in that much debt, you will likely come to your senses that a career in research is not sensible and end up spending most or all of your time as a clinician. Sorry to put a lot of pressure on you here, but I think this is really a career decision that you're making at this point.
If you already know you're going to spend most of your career in clinic, then the MD-only option isn't looking so bad.

Hi 24th grader, thanks for the advice. I was leaning the MD-only route, but I got an acceptance recently so I am good to go! Thanks for the help everyone. Yea my GPA is not terrible, but not 4.0 either. I think my interviewing may have been my weak point. I had 4 interviews and applied to maybe 10-15 places. Oh yea I also applied pretty late like in September so that probably hurt as well in getting interviews...but it's all behind me now :). woohoo!

Really think about what you've been saying in your interviews and whether it is in-line with the philosophy of MD-PhD programs. Unless your GPA is just horrible (and even if it is) I would bet there are definitely other factors working against you. Again, if those are things you think you can improve, I think it would be worth reapplying. Just my opinion though. While the "job security" of an MD is an okay thing to have, if you see yourself in research in the future and with$200k in debt, that job security won't be to comfortable on the salary of a post doc. The truth is that if you're in that much debt, you will likely come to your senses that a career in research is not sensible and end up spending most or all of your time as a clinician. Sorry to put a lot of pressure on you here, but I think this is really a career decision that you're making at this point.
If you already know you're going to spend most of your career in clinic, then the MD-only option isn't looking so bad.

Agree with this. If you're not sure that you want to spend 3+ years in lab (and continuing on as a fellow, etc. down the line) working harder than in med school with an uncertain timetable for defending and hoping like crazy that your project does not get scooped tomorrow (!), I would take the MD acceptance, especially if the debt load is not going to be overwhelming.

I'm not bashing the MD/PhD path and I think it's the ideal way forward for certain people. But I think at application we gloss over what it's really like being a PhD student, which is a very, very different position than an undergrad researcher, with a lot more left up to chance and the quality of your mentorship. I would say that unless you love doing basic research so much that your career would not be complete without doing it in a substantial way, the better path forward would be MD only. Do NOT treat grad school as another chance to find out "if you like" the bench enough; you'll probably get burned and burned out. If, on the other hand, you do feel incomplete without being in the lab, you may do better to take a year out and reapply.

Two other things: there are opportunities for a well-funded year of lab research in medical school, usually between MS3 and MS4. Many students find these to be beneficial: it's a shorter time committment, thus you typically get a better project that's already cooking, better mentorship because your PI knows that you're not going to hang around for years and would hopefully try to help you get something done in a shorter amount of time. Many students going this route do publish. This also allows you to steer your science interest in the direction of your chosen clinical field (since many change their minds several times during med school).

I will also say that based on the experience of myself and others I know, a PhD can certainly help with getting into residency, but if you kick butt in med school and do well in the year of research, you'll probably get more interviews in most specialties, including the most competitive ones, than a MD-PhD (for reasons we can get into).

Best of luck, congrats on the acceptances, and feel free to PM.

Hi 24th grader, thanks for the advice. I was leaning the MD-only route, but I got an acceptance recently so I am good to go! Thanks for the help everyone. Yea my GPA is not terrible, but not 4.0 either. I think my interviewing may have been my weak point. I had 4 interviews and applied to maybe 10-15 places. Oh yea I also applied pretty late like in September so that probably hurt as well in getting interviews...but it's all behind me now :). woohoo!

Congrats!