MD waitlist vs. DO commit to enroll?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

INeedAssistance

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I dont know that it matters. You paid the deposit and wont get it back if you back out now. So they would just take someone off their waitlist ifyou dropped for MD.

Reactions: 1 user
I dont know that it matters. You paid the deposit and wont get it back if you back out now. So they would just take someone off their waitlist ifyou dropped for MD.
Right, but is there a deadline for DOs where I have to commit entirely to the school kinda like MD? Or can I wait til basically the first day of classes to still be able to accept the MD if I come off the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Right, but is there a deadline for DOs where I have to commit entirely to the school kinda like MD? Or can I wait til basically the first day of classes to still be able to accept the MD if I come off the waitlist?
Yes, DO schools have deadlines as well.

What's you matriculate into a DO school, this doesn't prevent you from accepting a later MD acceptance.

This happens with my school all the time especially when we're dealing with our state MD school.

Reactions: 3 users
You can leave DO school anytime, even when you’re in classes for like a month already, to take the MD slot. It’s fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if you are enrolled in a DO school can you still be on the waitlist for a MD school after May 1st? How would the DO school find out that you’re still on the MD waitlist?

Does anyone know if you are enrolled in a DO school can you still be on the waitlist for a MD school after May 1st? How would the DO school find out that you’re still on the MD waitlist?
Take this with a grain of salt, but from my searches it seems that there's no "Commit to enroll" for ACCOMAS for DO schools like AAMC has for MDs, so technically you can leave anytime, but idk how that would work after you take out loans for that specific DO school or finalizing your financial aid.

Reactions: 1 users
Take this with a grain of salt, but from my searches it seems that there's no "Commit to enroll" for ACCOMAS for DO schools like AAMC has for MDs, so technically you can leave anytime, but idk how that would work after you take out loans for that specific DO school or finalizing your financial aid.
One of the DO schools wants me to commit with a contract saying that they will contact all schools including MD schools that I put deposits on and that I’m on waitlist. What I don’t understand is how does this school know which MD schools I’m on the waitlist for

Nope DO schools do not have access to AAMC, when is the contract "due" for signing? Cause if its not due until day of classes you could stretch it out
They want me to sign it before May 1st. Of course that’s when the MD schools start taking off of their waitlist.

They want me to sign it before May 1st. Of course that’s when the MD schools start taking off of their waitlist.
This sounds school specific because at my DO school there’s nothing of this sort, I would ask your school thread about it

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope DO schools do not have access to AAMC, when is the contract "due" for signing? Cause if its not due until day of classes you could stretch it out
Enrollment deposits are generally due well before your orientation starts. Depending on the traffic rules, you get a few weeks to decide depending on when you get an offer (as you get closer to orientation, the response window shrinks).

One of the DO schools wants me to commit with a contract saying that they will contact all schools including MD schools that I put deposits on and that I’m on waitlist. What I don’t understand is how does this school know which MD schools I’m on the waitlist for
I think that they may be pulling a fast one on you. There's no venue where do schools can see what's going on with people at MD schools and vice versa.

I think that they may be pulling a fast one on you. There's no venue where do schools can see what's going on with people at MD schools and vice versa.
But can the DO school look up on AAMC website and see which schools I’m on the waitlist for? This is what AACOMAS has on their website.
“After May 1, AACOMAS reports to
each institution the names and
candidates for its entering class who
hold an acceptance(s) at additional
institutions. An osteopathic medical
college may rescind an offer of
admissions to a candidate who has
paid deposits to or holds positions at
multiple institutions.” So I was wondering if AAMC does the same and that’s how the DO school will find out.

But can the DO school look up on AAMC website and see which schools I’m on the waitlist for?
Unless something earth-shattering happened with an AMCAS/AACOMAS data merger, no one just does that. Not even AMCAS schools know (as far as I know). That would skirt anti-trust issues...

But can the DO school look up on AAMC website and see which schools I’m on the waitlist for? This is what AACOMAS has on their website.
“After May 1, AACOMAS reports to
each institution the names and
candidates for its entering class who
hold an acceptance(s) at additional
institutions. An osteopathic medical
college may rescind an offer of
admissions to a candidate who has
paid deposits to or holds positions at
multiple institutions.” So I was wondering if AAMC does the same and that’s how the DO school will find out.
Well, that's new! But no, the DO schools have NO way to see what's going on in AMCAS.

is there a comitt to enroll date for DO schools? How do we actually comitt to enroll?

Yes. AACOMAS and AMCAS do NOT talk to each other
They may not talk to each other but is there a way that the DO school can find out that I’m on a MD waitlist? According to the school once I sign the contract they will contact all schools DO and MD schools telling them that I will attend their school and have to be taken off all waitlists. Plus I have to sign the contract before I find out what kind of financial aid they will give me. This is not right at all! How can I decide on which school to go to if they don’t allow me to see the financial aid package

is there a comitt to enroll date for DO schools? How do we actually comitt to enroll?
You just pay for tuition and attend to class i believe
They may not talk to each other but is there a way that the DO school can find out that I’m on a MD waitlist? According to the school once I sign the contract they will contact all schools DO and MD schools telling them that I will attend their school and have to be taken off all waitlists. Plus I have to sign the contract before I find out what kind of financial aid they will give me. This is not right at all! How can I decide on which school to go to if they don’t allow me to see the financial aid package
that sounds really suspicious, is it a new DO school?

They may not talk to each other but is there a way that the DO school can find out that I’m on a MD waitlist? According to the school once I sign the contract they will contact all schools DO and MD schools telling them that I will attend their school and have to be taken off all waitlists.
There is absolutely no way for them to know where (or if) you are on an MD waitlist.
Even if they contacted every MD school in the country, not one would care!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Does FASA tell schools what other schools you applied to? Can the school see the FASA list of all other schools I applied to? Wondering if that’s how the DO school can find out about the MD school waitlist 🤷🏻‍♀️

Does FASA tell schools what other schools you applied to? Can the school see the FASA list of all other schools I applied to? Wondering if that’s how the DO school can find out about the MD school waitlist 🤷🏻‍♀️
No, I don't think that's how it works.

This sounds like Orlando/OCOM, the new DO school (surprise!)

From their FAQ page:
There will be no deposit required. If a student chooses to accept an offer of admission, they must submit the signed acceptance form prior to the designated deadline. Accepted students will be required to sign an enrollment contract and start to complete matriculating requirements.
Once OCOM extends an offer of admission to an applicant, it is making a significant commitment with that offer. If the applicant accepts that offer, it is expected that it is a binding commitment by contract. While we don’t currently require a financial deposit, we do expect integrity with the commitment from both the applicant as well as OCOM. In accordance with AACOM, OCOM expects prospective osteopathic medical students to provide factual, accurate, and complete information throughout the admissions process. OCOM follows all guidelines from AACOMAS, including the mandatory Admissions reporting.

Its OCOM, right? This school extended their Primary Application Deadline from March 1st to April 12th, that probably means they are having a hard time filling up the 97 seats of the inaugural class. They cannot do anything.

Its OCOM, right? This school extended their Primary Application Deadline from March 1st to April 12th, that probably means they are having a hard time filling up the 97 seats of the inaugural class. They cannot do anything.
No it’s not OCOM