MD with PhD/PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jscarpachio

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any medical schools that offer this type of joint degree (MD w/ higher psych degree)?

Members don't see this ad.

there are plenty that award a PhD jointly. The focus of the PhD is usually basic science, but several schools will allow a psych degree.

the question though, is whether a PhD/PsyD is practical given the amount of specialized psychiatry training you will receive as a resident anyway. seems redundant, but I'm no psychiatrist. any psych residents have an opinion?

doc05 said:
there are plenty that award a PhD jointly. The focus of the PhD is usually basic science, but several schools will allow a psych degree.

the question though, is whether a PhD/PsyD is practical given the amount of specialized psychiatry training you will receive as a resident anyway. seems redundant, but I'm no psychiatrist. any psych residents have an opinion?

One of my attendings was a PhD clinical psychologist who returned for an MD and psych residency. It did seem to give him a different perspective on things...