Md_only Program At Umkc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.iz-n

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the MD-only program at UMKC? I checked out the website, and it looks like it is a program in which you enter at Year2 (remember, UMKC has the 6-year BA/MD program) and it is for people who already have a degree?

Anyone know about MCAT score, minimum GPA, etc? Any info is helpful...

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. There is an MD only program. I don't know about requirements since I did the six year thing (so I didn't take the MCAT)

Hey--So did you like the program? Do you feel you learned a lot? How was residency, and would you recommend for me to look into the MD-only program as an option? How many students enrolled? Probably not that many I assume. I'm a Missouri resident if that helps at all!

Yes. There is an MD only program. I don't know about requirements since I did the six year thing (so I didn't take the MCAT)

Hey--So did you like the program? Do you feel you learned a lot? How was residency, and would you recommend for me to look into the MD-only program as an option? How many students enrolled? Probably not that many I assume. I'm a Missouri resident if that helps at all!

Yes, I liked the program. I feel like I got more hands on experience than a lot of my collegues coming from other medical schools. It seems like our medical students carry more responsibility during clinical clerkships. I felt like it made my residency so much easier, because, as a medical student, I was used to being on call, presenting h&p's and coming up with differientials and plans, and carrying a big load of patients myself. I was so busy the first few years handling twice as many credits as my other recent high school grads while doing in-hospital work at the same time. I learned to organize my time and become more efficent than the typical medical student. Of course, that helps me as resident...organization and efficiency is what being a good resident...or good doctor...for that matter, is all about!

In regards to the MD-only option, I think it is worthwhile. Even though, I did the BA/MD program, I felt like the program is trying to increase their MD-only enrollment just because their retention in the 6 year program was soooooo horrible. The MD-only got in...and stayed in. I think we had about 8 or so MD-only students in my class.

As I was graduating, there was alot of instructors/attendings that were dissociating themselves from the school and quitting as docents. Reason: they could make more in private practice rather than academics. This is both good and bad. Bad being that they lost several good teaching faculty. Good being that it opened the door for young residents graduating residency to get into academics. So they have lots of young faculty straight out of residency (this is important when you get to the clerkship years). As far as the beginning of the program, the whole curriculm format has changed so I can't comment on that.

I would totally do the program again if I had the chance. However, I moved to Kansas City when I was 13 and lived with my parents throughout my med school experience (except for the first two years). All in all, I was so ready to get out on my own and leave Kansas City...so much so, that I don't know if I would go back on a permanent basis. But there is plenty to do in Kansas City.