MDapplicants.com - Suggestions for improvement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xaelia

neenlet
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
MDapplicants.com has been around about a year and a half without any major changes, and now that I have a little free time between my first and second years of medical school, I'd be happy to hear any suggestions for improvements I could add to make it more useful. Since you're mostly the folks who have been and are currently using it, updating and browsing profiles, I'd appreciate any feedback.

While I certainly can't promise the world, I can at least entertain the possibility.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you put in a search for individual scores on the MCAT like for verbal, bio, and physical sciences. That would help.

Your site is a very valuable resource and we all appreciate it.

im not sure if this would screw up your search software, but perhaps make it a little more friendly for current applicants? my family and close friends have my mda.com profile url, and it lets them check my progress without daily phone calls :)

i cant think of too much to change to this end, but an example is sometimes it is confusing whether people have really been rejected, or they're still waiting post-interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
how about the ability to search for those interviewed/accepted by state rather than just the existing options of "any school" or *one* particular school? like searching for those accepted to a med school in cali, texas, ohio, etc...

maybe another waitlist category (i.e., "waitlist, still active") too, because whenever i read the "waitlisted, not-accepted" category, it sounds like the applicants have already been rejected, rather than the fact that their status is still pending (if they write that they are still "on hold" or something). of course, i might be the only one who reads it like that, so i don't know.

also, it would be cool to search for people who were accepted to specific types of programs, such as MD/PhD programs, etc

superdevil said:
also, it would be cool to search for people who were accepted to specific types of programs, such as MD/PhD programs, etc

Absolutely. The MD/PhDs are scattered in there, but they just say they were MD/PhDs in their descriptions. It would be nice if they were separate.

Nevertheless, it's a valuable resource. Thanks for your hard work!

Here's a few suggestions.

1) Option for people to add dates when people get accepted / rejected / pulled from waitlist.

2) Options to more accurately describe an applicant in progress. Some are listed as Rejected (post-secondary & post-interview) when they are indeed waiting. This adds confusion and needs to be uncloaked.

Absolutely. The MD/PhDs are scattered in there, but they just say they were MD/PhDs in their descriptions. It would be nice if they were separate.
while we're on the subject, i wish the interview feedback on this very website had this kind of specificity!

IndyZX said:
im not sure if this would screw up your search software, but perhaps make it a little more friendly for current applicants? my family and close friends have my mda.com profile url, and it lets them check my progress without daily phone calls :)

i cant think of too much to change to this end, but an example is sometimes it is confusing whether people have really been rejected, or they're still waiting post-interview.

I never expected people to add profiles as they applied and use it like a weblog to track their progress through the process. In fact, I have explicit instructions not to on the "add profile" page, since the way the site is set up it gives confusing output for folks in the midst of applying. ;)

It does require somewhat of a disaster in the database to add a flag that indicates no final decision has been made, but I'll figure out some way to have older profiles and newer ones make sense at the same time....

It would be great if you could verify the veracity of the posts. But there is no way of keeping people honest. We've all read a few that are just jokes and some of them are less obvious, but still lies.

To bad you couldn't have a way to make sure that all the inforamtion was accurate. As of now, it's of some value, but I was always skeptical.

since people say (and i agree) that the average mdapplicants.com profile does not reflect the average applicant overall, how about the following stats (on the front page, perhaps?)

average MCAT (by section and total) for all profiles
avg mcat by state of residence
avg mcat by state of acceptance

likewise for gpa...

avg mcat/gpa for accepteds/waitlisteds/not accepteds (total and by state)

forgive me if these things are already available on there...
thanks

Option for people to add dates when people get accepted / rejected / pulled from waitlist

I agree! All the "waitlist acceptance" threads on here (not only this year but previous years as well) have been a great resource, but you have to do a lot of searches to get the data. I think the biggest question for me has been "when did (and how many) people get pulled off the list at specific schools each year"

How about an option for putting where the person is going to school. Alot of the applicants have multiple acceptances and unless they state it themselves, you usually have no idea where they ended up going.

Members don't see this ad :)
be able to search and display separate application years.

frick said:
- Perhaps include an "email this applicant" link that will open a web-based form allowing a user to contact an applicant WITHOUT knowing their email address. This might be useful in case you stumble across someone from your school (or whatever) who you might want to get in contact with for advice on the admissions process. (**Profile builders should be able to opt out of this feature.**)
This would be great. There a a couple people from my state headed to the same school as me, and I'd love to be able to get in touch with them.

The site is terrific. Thank you!!!
:thumbup:

You should add an extra search option to let your search for an applicant that got waitlisted at a particular school. Currently, your search only lets you differentiate between interviewed and accepted. However, adding options for 1) interviewed, rejected, 2) interviewed, waitlisted, not accepted, and 3) interviewed, waitlisted, accepted would be very cool and useful. This feature would also be useful outside of search when you click on a link to a particular school, because right now your only two "interviewed, accepted" and "interviewed, not accepted" categories for interviewed applicants don't tell if the applicant was waitlisted or rejected post-interview in either case. Only upon clicking on an applicant's link does it become apparent.

Great site mang, keep up the good work! :D

I go to a very very small school (in the top 50). If I post the name of my school, my major, and my MCAT score, it would be very easy for people to know who I am. I wanted to just write "small top 50" in the school section, but you removed my profile. So, until there is some way for those of us in a small crowd to stay anonymous, I (and everyone else at my school- there are no other posts from us) am going to have to avoid posting.

I would be awesome if users could choose to search for traditional or non-traditional applicants.

I love your website, but I wish more people would fill their information in. There are not a lot of applicants from Texas schools.

I agree...

1) Option for people to add dates when people get accepted / rejected / pulled from waitlist.

2) Options to more accurately describe an applicant in progress. Some are listed as Rejected (post-secondary & post-interview) when they are indeed waiting. This adds confusion and needs to be uncloaked.

That being said, thanks for creating it, it's very helpful! I also think it'd be cool if there was some way to get more people from SDN to use it.

Thanks for your hard work.

i too would love to see an 'email this applicant' option. otherwise, if you allowed people to include less information (like not including a specific undergrad school, etc), then more people would feel they could fill it out without having other people know who they were. the value of mdapplicants.com is if it can have the average applicant know his or her chances, not just the people who scored a 40 on their mcat and volunteered in africa for 4 years and maintained their 3.99 gpa. the top complaint of the site that i hear is that it doesn't help the average applicant, which means that it needs to be more friendly towards that average applicant who might not want everyone to know that they scored a 26 on their MCAT. ya know? anyway, i've used the site a lot and my info is in there ;)

To all of you who suggest that you'd like to see more pepole post profiles, remember, it's up to you to post and to get your friends to post as well.

TRUE said:
To all of you who suggest that you'd like to see more pepole post profiles, remember, it's up to you to post and to get your friends to post as well.

only you can prevent forest fires.

So, responding to all the feedback....

pyra: Can you put in a search for individual scores on the MCAT like for verbal, bio, and physical sciences. That would help.
- That can be done pretty easily.

IndyZX: sometimes it is confusing whether people have really been rejected, or they're still waiting post-interview.
- I'll definitely work on that, though it might take a bit to figure out the best way to not wreck the current database at the same time.

superdevil: ability to search for those interviewed/accepted by state rather than just the existing options of "any school" or *one* particular school?
- Hm...I'd have to add information to the database about which state each school was in, but it would theoretically be possible.

superdevil: maybe another waitlist category (i.e., "waitlist, still active") too
- When I redo the database to fix the "rejected" stuff, that should get cleared up.

superdevil: search for people who were accepted to specific types of programs, such as MD/PhD programs, etc
- I should be able to try to add that, although it will only be useful to people years from now, since the current 1600 won't have that data stored for them.

frick: Stick a link on the bottom of each profile page that allows users to report (to webmaster, whomever) those profiles which seem implausible or outright false.
- Definitely possible, though I don't feel like there are that many implausible ones on there right now.

frick: Give a comprehensive list of majors to choose from when building a profile, instead of just 'general areas of study'
- Unlikely to change.

frick: Perhaps include an "email this applicant" link that will open a web-based form allowing a user to contact an applicant WITHOUT knowing their email address.
- That will definitely never happen, mostly because that's another chunk of programming I don't have time for.

beastmaster: Option for people to add dates when people get accepted / rejected / pulled from waitlist.
- I will try to add that, since I remember how useful that would have been for me.

jtown: since people say (and i agree) that the average mdapplicants.com profile does not reflect the average applicant overall, how about the following stats (on the front page, perhaps?)
- Only a few overall statistics are given on the About This Site... page; perhaps I can expand them somewhere.

Jet915: How about an option for putting where the person is going to school. Alot of the applicants have multiple acceptances and unless they state it themselves, you usually have no idea where they ended up going.
- If people want to indicate which school they're going to, they can add a comment; I prefer to err on the side of anonymity.

bullsI: be able to search and display separate application years.
- The general search lets you do that already; adding that filter to the Select School... is also on my list.

leiface: I would be awesome if users could choose to search for traditional or non-traditional applicants.
- I don't think I could adequately define that to implement it.

JohnnieBlue: I wanted to just write "small top 50" in the school section, but you removed my profile.
- Yep. I think valid undergraduate school information is necessary. :)

...so hopefully sometime this month some of these features will start showing up on the site.

Thanks!

www.lawschoolnumbers.com lets you graphically map (dot-plot) what GPA/LSAT combos interviewed and/or matriculated at each school. It's a nice way to see where you fall.

So if it were possible to do this for mdapplicants.com, then a user could plug in a range of scores, or a school (or heck, in each state) and see how they compare.

Good work so far!

EvoDevo said:
www.lawschoolnumbers.com lets you graphically map (dot-plot) what GPA/LSAT combos interviewed and/or matriculated at each school. It's a nice way to see where you fall.

So if it were possible to do this for mdapplicants.com, then a user could plug in a range of scores, or a school (or heck, in each state) and see how they compare.

Good work so far!
I second the scatter plot idea.

You can do something like high school counseldors did at my schools. You can have X's for acceptances and Dots for Rejections. That would really be neat.

Also, there should be a way to separate allopathic from osteopathic schools. I was doing some "research" and wanted to get the total averages for allo students but as it is currently set up that is impossible.

EvoDevo said:

Good work so far!

A graphical map only works for law school because their acceptances are based much more strongly on numbers - esp the LSAT. Not so for medical school. Besides, look at the MSAR to figure our where you might be competitive based on numbers... course, it would be nice if that data were available to search/compare...

kelenaf said:
A graphical map only works for law school because their acceptances are based much more strongly on numbers - esp the LSAT. Not so for medical school. Besides, look at the MSAR to figure our where you might be competitive based on numbers... course, it would be nice if that data were available to search/compare...

still, a general trend exists and such a trend would be interesting to see graphically.

i made a chart like that on Excel one day at work (very bored).

I have average MCAT score running the x-axis, and average GPA running the y-axis. yeah, i know it's much more subjective and seems like a crapshoot, but it was damn helpful to locate schools that would be easier to get into, versus ones that were much harder, instead of having to look through that damn MSAR book all the time.

i like the idea of searching by state and for md/phd applicants. also echoing lp1cw's concerns about the prevalence of fake profiles (although i recognize that there is no way of preventing this)

I would like to second seperating MD and DO. Maybe a search function that allows the user to pick
1) MD
2) DO
3) both

Make access to the site accesible only by a username / password which is obtainable only after putting up your profile. I think that will encourage more profiles but then again, consider if they will be real profiles or just fakes.