MDSc/PhD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Theillestill

hold the mustard
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here knows of anyone personally who's completed a dental specialty program and done a PhD at the same time (full-time orthodontics and part-time PhD).

I know that UBC has a similar program spread over 6 years (3 years specialty training and 3 years PhD)
http://www.dentistry.ubc.ca/combined-phd-and-diploma-in-orthodontics/about-the-program/

Members don't see this ad.

I am doing 5 years combined DScD and residency in Prosthodontics.
Before I start in this program, I also got accepted to 6 years PhD + residency Prosth at UBC.

Thanks so much for responding. How do you feel the weight of doing a PhD adds to your existing workload? I understand that often they will try to stagger it such that you complete the specialty component before the PhD component - do you see any advantages of doing so and if so why?

Members don't see this ad :)
From the structure of my program ( 5 years DScD + residency). First two years we devote fully on research. Then 3rd-4th year we fully do clinic. 5th year is 50/50.
I am in the last year now and so far everything goes very smooth. The workload is ok. You have 5-6 years to do research so your project can be bigger than average PhD and also you have more time to write the publication or present your project.
The main advantage for my 5 years-program is it save you 1 year from if you do it separately. DscD, DMsC, or PhD are good for those who want to be faculty as this will boost your applicant when you apply for the position. But if you want to be private dentist those degree might not be any important.

I'm already accepted into the residency program. The proposed DCD/PhD program at my institution would be 3 years residency (70 clinical/30 research) with 2 years full-time PhD prior to being registered. Any tips on how to structure projects during a structure like this?

I know there is little benefit to private practice doing the PhD but I'm exploring the possibility of turning the research project into something marketable possibly? There's also a lot of stipend funding during the full-time PhD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me I tried to complete most of my research in first two years before start residency. During residency, I mainly do writing for publication and present my project on many research meeting. My advise is to try to start the project as soon as possible. The most difficult period is first 2-3 months when you try to find the topic amd focus.

The problem is that if you are creating some novelty product and plan for doing patent, you might not want to do publication or any presentation as the information should be secret before patent is completed.

You also have to be sure about the ownership of your research. In most case, it will be research advisor who got all the right of the novelty product.

Yeah that's inherently the main issue - the institution also has ownership rights to the potential patent because a lot of the work was done as part of the post-doc of the original PI.

Publications using similar tech or components of the actual patent wouldn't impact the validity/ownership of the patent? As proof-of-concept work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue regarding publication/patent is that once you publish it, somebody may steal the idea, develop it, and patent it before you. The process for patent is very long (take years).

Very complicated issue indeed