MDSSP and inactive reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalMonkey

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does MDSSP have two years of inactive reserve attached to it like ASR does?? If so can you take three years of MDSSP and have a six year payback, but with two of them in inactive reserve? That would be similar to taking ASR from MS2-4 and having 5 years after (two in inactive reserve), just with less money right??

I'm just trying to figure out the math.
Thanks,
Monkey

Members don't see this ad.

Does MDSSP have two years of inactive reserve attached to it like ASR does?? If so can you take three years of MDSSP and have a six year payback, but with two of them in inactive reserve? That would be similar to taking ASR from MS2-4 and having 5 years after (two in inactive reserve), just with less money right??
When you swear in as an officer, you owe an 8 year MSO. Part of that may be drilling, part of that my be IRR (individual ready reserve, which is probably what you mean by "inactive," which actually means something different).

If you drill for 2 years, you owe 6 years IRR. If you drill 8 years, you owe no IRR.

So if you drill for three years while you're taking MDSSP, you'll owe six years of drill after you graduate med school. That's nine years of drill. You owe no IRR.

By the way, any way you cut it, MDSSP is not the same deal financially as ASR. But ASR is not currently available. MDSSP is a better deal than anything currently available for folks interested in part-time military service and a civilian residency, imho.

Ok, so basically if you do MDSSP for 3 years you would owe 6 after Medical school with none of them being considered IRR? Also, what the hell is IRR? Maybe i'm the only silly person confused on this, but some clearing thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks so much for your detailed replies notdeadyet,
Monkey

IRR is Individual Ready Reserve. Basically, it means you are still on the books as a commissioned officer, but you do not draw pay and you do not participate in any activities (drill, etc.). IRR is sometimes called up for deployment in time of war, but it is rare. They have called up IRR during our current wars, but it's mostly been combat specialty folks. I don't know doctors who have been, but they could be.
Ok, so basically if you do MDSSP for 3 years you would owe 6 after Medical school with none of them being considered IRR?
If you take MDSSP for three years, and drill for those three years, then drill the 6 years you owe after medical school, you will have spent drilling for 9 years. This is above and beyond the 8 years obligation, so you wouldn't need to do any IRR.

Like I mentioned above, IRR is only necessary if you spend fewer years drilling than the 8 year obligation everyone signs up for. If you took one year of MDSSP and became obligated for two years beyond that, you'd be drilling for 3 years, so you'd owe at least 5 years IRR. Make sense?