Me Too . . .

Started by OD2BE
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

O

OD2BE

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Fellow Nontrads!!

I've been "lurking" around SDN for a few weeks now, and am happy to have joined today.

I'm a 28 year old mother of 2 who has made the decision to prepare for med school! Becoming a doctor has always been my dream, but my life choices (getting married at 18, having 2 babies, getting divorced at 26, and remarried just a few months ago) took my career path in another direction.

My "cousin" (not really a relative) inspired me to go for it. He's a 4th year DO student at PCSOM. He was a career changer too- at 33 he left his high-paying job (after obtaining a PhD in his field) to pursue his passion for medicine!

I'm currently a counselor, and while I love helping people with their emotional problems, my passion has always been medicine and the sciences.

I'm interested in a DO program, because the philosophy of DOs is to treat the person as a whole, in addition to the presenting symptoms. I believe I can combine my counseling skills with the art of healing as a DO.

I have a B.A. in Psychology (GPA 3.6) and an M.Ed. in Counseling (GPA 4.0).

I have to go back to school to finish up my prereqs, and then I'll be working on preparing for the MCAT! Wish me luck! :luck:

I have 2 beautiful daughters who keep me busy, and a helpful husband who is very supportive!

Good luck to everyone!!!!!
 
🙂 Thanks for the welcome! I have a feeling I'm going to spend a lot of time on this site.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just realized I was a little dyslexic with my user name. It's about midnight here in Florida and I need to get some sleep.

I changed my user ID, and this time, it makes sense. . .
 
I'm a 27 y.o. mother of two applying to DO schools right now. Best of luck to you! Make sure to check out the "mom's make better doctors" thread over in pre-osteopathic. Welcome to SDN. It's a great resource for non-trads. And with your high GPA you won't find it depressing like a lot of us do. :laugh: