Meal plans at VCU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrstephe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have friend at Nova who says he wishes he had signed on for a meal plan and I was wondering if there was anyone participating in one now? If no one is participating does anyone know how many day per semester we will be there?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do it unless you will be living in the graduate dorms... or want to gain 500 lbs. :scared:

The thing about meal plans is that you have to be dedicated. They will charge you a flat fee and assume that you will eat three meals a day for the entire semester. That's how they figure up the costs to charge each student. No midnight snacks either. :(

On the other hand, if you would like to save a bunch of money, you can hook up a crockpot and convection microwave in your dorm and eat really well for the entire semester for a fraction of the cost. You can cook just about anything in a crockpot (tender roast and gravy with rice is just one example) and a convection microwave (endless possibles here). These are also acceptable in most dorms since they don't involve a direct flame or a stove eye that could cause a fire hazard.

I like to cook for myself since the food is homemade and goes a lot further than dining out or having to go to a cafeteria when I'm hungry. It is also a fraction of the cost of eating out. You just add the delicious ingredients to the crockpot from your fridge, set it to "warm", and you have a hot meal waiting on you when you get home from school. I have a divider tray in my crockpot to keep it real, so last night I ate stewed roast with carrots and potatoes with steamed broccoli and cheese sauce that I had cooking in the other half. You can pretty much do what you want. Going this route, you will eat like a king during dental school for pennies on the dollar.

Members don't see this ad :)
well I am one of those people who has to have a real breakfast and I am not going to be living on campus to be able to run home for lunch. I was thinking maybe it would be easier to eat two meals (breakfast & lunch) at school rather than having to worry with cooking and getting packed every morning. I was also thinking if I had the meal plan I wouldn't have to worry about running out of money at the end of the semester.

I assure you that most of us either bring our lunch or walk over to the hospital, which has a cafeteria, McD's, Chik-Fil-A, a bagel joint (my fave!), coffee stand, and a bunch of tasty food carts outside. I think the meal plan only works at Larrick, which is a further walk in the opposite direction and the food is gross. I've only known a handful of people who had a meal plan during 1st year and they lived in dorm... even those people ended up not using a meal plan in their D2 year.

well I am one of those people who has to have a real breakfast and I am not going to be living on campus to be able to run home for lunch. I was thinking maybe it would be easier to eat two meals (breakfast & lunch) at school rather than having to worry with cooking and getting packed every morning. I was also thinking if I had the meal plan I wouldn't have to worry about running out of money at the end of the semester.

i assure you, you will not want to get to school earlier than you have to either ;) also the hospital has a decent breakfast that is cheap.. eggs, oatmeal, sausage, cereal, and waffles

ok, it's settled, thanks guys