mean scores for step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metalupyoura**

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wanted to know what the mean for step 2 was, i got a 243-how would that rank percentile wise? is it as good as a step 1 243, or not as impressive since step 2 is seen as easier

Members don't see this ad.

Regardless of which usmle step you took, to get your percentile, you need to base it on the mean and standard deviation. Look at what your score report says the mean and standard deviation for your test are. On my version of step 2, the mean was a 216 with a standard deviation of 23. As for whether or not a 243 is impressive on step 2, i have heard that step 2 is easy to pass but hard to do well on. Therefore, your step 2 score is pretty good. However, different programs may weigh the step 2 score differently.
Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no way to accurately figure out your percentile rank. Using mean and standard deviation doesn't allow you to calculate percentile rank. You need MEDIAN and standard deviation for that. Just because the mean is 216 doesn't mean the median isn't something like 225 or something. So we'll never really truly know our percentile rank unless you randomly poll a few hundred students. I don't suggest polling people from here cause everyone on here seems to have a 240+

Globulin

What did you get on your cumulative qbank and what were you scoring near the end of your preparation? Of course, this is assuming that you used qbank. Also, what did you get on the NMBE practice test? If anyone else has this info, please chime in. Thanx.