Mean vs. nice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triguy

Use the Force
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you want to have staff that are mean and work you punishingly hard, and as a result your life sucks for four years, but at least you know what you are doing?

Or rather, would you like to get along with the staff in a friendly manner, so that they pass on enough info so you can pass your boards, but nothing more?

Which is better? Two years ago I might have said scenario #2, but now I am starting to see the value in a "tough" residency.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can have a #2 residency, but still have good training. Likewise, you could have a #1 residency and have poor training. For me, I would be willing to work hard to get the best training possible. You can have a "tough" residency in a "nice" atmosphere. It just depends on the ppl/program you are training under.

Most people don't learn a ton from someone who does a lot of berating and scutting you out.

Personally, I would much rather be busier. I feel like I am in the minority at times, a lot of other residents here think the workload is too much at times. I don't know, maybe it is when you are starting out, I can only go by what they tell me and what I have experienced myself. I learned a ton by being busy and working 12-14 hour days during my first two years, and now I have similar or higher workloads and I get done a lot quicker, and I can focus on refining my skills. I wouldn't trade the prior experience. Then again though, I like what I do. There are a couple of attendings here who some residents really don't get along with, or who they have trouble working with. Part of it is unrealistic expectations of junior residents on the part of the attending I think, because I haven't had similar issues with these attendings.

That being said, working with an attending like #1 above is not really educational either, unless it is moderated and they push you hard but they also give you credit when you succeed, and push you not to make THEIR lives easier, but to make you a better pathologist. I like that kind of teacher a lot, but they are sometimes hard to come by.

The thing is, you only get one chance to train in residency. You can minimize conflict and maximize your learning by being organized, conscientious, and conscious of your time commitments and your own strengths and limitations. I think too many residents "suffer in silence" or at the very least only complain to other residents. You have to be responsible for your own education as much as those who are teaching you are, and that includes direct interactions with them.