Measurement papers--differentiating intro and methods?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a measurement paper (factor analysis and convergent validity) that covers two measures that have been published but without much in the way of formal psychometrics. The issue I'm running into is that I feel like my intro has a lot of overlap with the measures section of the methods because the main focus of the paper is the instruments themselves.

Advice on how to handle this without being repetitive?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Advice on how to handle this without being repetitive?
From my experience, APA style papers are ridiculously repetitive - you might not be able to get away from that aspect. I am sure someone will be of more help to your question.

I guess this depends on the journals you submit to, but I wouldn't ever recommend repeating. Just cut. Some journals love their bloat, but many are quite fine with a brief introduction. Especially for a measures paper, where the point really should be quite straightforward.

Tough to give more advice without seeing it, but the sections really shouldn't be that overlapping. I usually think of it as the intro as describing the research-base and the method as describing the measure itself. Possibly restate some very basic facts (i.e. "As previously mentioned, preliminary studies by X showed strong internal consistency but no other psychometric properties have been reported"). When in doubt though...just make it shorter. More and more journals are moving in this direction anyways (including almost all of the higher-impact ones).

Reactions: 2 users