KLPM

5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anyone got any good resources for learning about ECMO & VAD? Doing some ICU rotations next year (children's hospital and an adult ICU). Both places have ECMO clinical service and there is an adult CT ICU. I have found a couple books and sites but still don't feel like I have a good grasp on paper particularly when it comes to monitoring and dealing with complications.

Thanks.

Stitch

Jedi Ninja Wizard
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2002
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
For ECMO, find the ELSO Redbook (http://www.elso.med.umich.edu/Publications.html). It can be a bit of a task to read, but it's got all the info. It's likely someone will have a copy where you are doing the rotation, so I wouldn't buy it. Just ask to borrow it for reference.

TrustMe

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2006
Where you wish you were.
Status
Attending Physician
I would second the Red Book put out by ELSO. It can be a little tough to get through but it covers everything you need to know to get started. The basic concepts of ECMO are pretty easy to get under your belt. It's the nuances of management and dealing with complications that often just take experience to fully understand.

OP
K

KLPM

5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Found myself a copy of the ELSO book today. Looks manageable. Anything for ventricular assist device?

Thanks!