Mechanical Engineering major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iloverunning

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a mechanical engineering (with a minor in biology) major at Notre Dame (honors engineering program). I was wondering how this major could translate to the prospect of med school in the future. The reason I'm an engineering major is because I really enjoy physics and could potentially see myself as a biomedical engineer, but I may want to be a doctor. Assuming I take all pre-med requirements, would med schools look at this in a favorable light?

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

They wouldn't care if you majored in Mechanical Engineering or if you majored in Interior Design. What matters is that you can get the As, and you can beast the MCAT.

Okay I see...if I got off to a rocky start and had a B-average first semester but get A's from here on out, do you think I'll be good?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay I see...if I got off to a rocky start and had a B-average first semester but get A's from here on out, do you think I'll be good?

Yeah, just make sure you do well on the MCAT.

Okay thanks! Also how hard is it to get into U of M (Michigan)'s med school?

Watch out for your junior level classes (Fluids, Thermo, Mech. of Materials, etc) and you should be fine. Once you get to your design classes, it's cake.

Another thing I'd recommend as a ME is to look for some medical device companies nearby to intern for if you have the time. The internship are pretty much always paid and you get some good exposure to some to the stuff being used and in the pipeline for the medical field today.