Mechanical engineering MS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akashb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done MS in mechanical engineering from UF, gainesville. I have been working with a mechanical engineering company for the last 5 years. Medicine has always been at the back of mind. I took chemistry and physics courses during undergrad in mechanical engineering in India. Do they count towards the pre reqs for med school in US? Also, what other courses do I need to take prior to applying to a school? My understanding is that I need to take some course work along with MCAT to get in a med school. Any insights anyone? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I have done MS in mechanical engineering from UF, gainesville. I have been working with a mechanical engineering company for the last 5 years. Medicine has always been at the back of mind. I took chemistry and physics courses during undergrad in mechanical engineering in India. Do they count towards the pre reqs for med school in US? Also, what other courses do I need to take prior to applying to a school? My understanding is that I need to take some course work along with MCAT to get in a med school. Any insights anyone? Thanks in advance.
you need to re-take these pre-med classes, and you also have to take Bio I & II, and Organic Chem I & II. Do a post bacc and study hard for the MCAT.

So you have a foreign undergraduate degree? My understanding is that you will most likely have to get another undergraduate degree here in the states, or at least the 90 credit hours (undergraduate) in order to apply to most medical schools. You need to contact the admissions department at a couple of different medical schools to see whether they accept foreign coursework. From what I've read about others with similar circumstances, it's just easiest to get an (additional) undergraduate degree here in the states. The MS will not be a factor in the medical school admissions process.

Reactions: 1 user