ladyj

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Status
I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible or how hard it is to get a fellowship in neonatology if I were to pursue a med-peds residency. I want to eventually work internationally and want to be able to practice both med and peds (specifically neonates).

VitaminK

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2003
Kansas City, MO
Visit site
Status
I actually know a few people who went the med-peds route and then did a fellowship in neonatology. So it is very possible. Even along the interview trail I heard of a couple residents who had the same plan. I don't think the difficulty in getting a fellowship would vary from doing med-peds vs straight peds.

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
VitaminK said:
I actually know a few people who went the med-peds route and then did a fellowship in neonatology. So it is very possible. Even along the interview trail I heard of a couple residents who had the same plan. I don't think the difficulty in getting a fellowship would vary from doing med-peds vs straight peds.
I concur. It's not an issue and is quite helpful when a parent or staff member gets sick in the NICU. Otherwise, you won't use too much of the medicine stuff in the NICU. I always tease the med-peds residents about ordering an "amp" of epi, etc....

Regarding international neonatology, as a few here know, I have a bit of a hobby doing that, having just returned 2 hrs ago from Latin America doing a week of neo education there...

Feel free to PM questions or post them here about international neo.

regards

OBP