med-peds and neonatology

Started by ladyj
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ladyj

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible or how hard it is to get a fellowship in neonatology if I were to pursue a med-peds residency. I want to eventually work internationally and want to be able to practice both med and peds (specifically neonates).
 
I actually know a few people who went the med-peds route and then did a fellowship in neonatology. So it is very possible. Even along the interview trail I heard of a couple residents who had the same plan. I don't think the difficulty in getting a fellowship would vary from doing med-peds vs straight peds.
 
VitaminK said:
I actually know a few people who went the med-peds route and then did a fellowship in neonatology. So it is very possible. Even along the interview trail I heard of a couple residents who had the same plan. I don't think the difficulty in getting a fellowship would vary from doing med-peds vs straight peds.

I concur. It's not an issue and is quite helpful when a parent or staff member gets sick in the NICU. Otherwise, you won't use too much of the medicine stuff in the NICU. I always tease the med-peds residents about ordering an "amp" of epi, etc....

Regarding international neonatology, as a few here know, I have a bit of a hobby doing that, having just returned 2 hrs ago from Latin America doing a week of neo education there...

Feel free to PM questions or post them here about international neo.

regards

OBP