med/peds before hem/onc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hermionegranger

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a 4th year medical student applying to a med/peds residency. I ultimately would like to do hem/onc (either peds or adults or both).

Would doing Med/Peds enhance or hurt my chances in obtaining a hem/onc fellowship in adult hem/onc or pediatrics hem/onc? Or do fellowship program directors prefer categorical medicine residents or categorical pediatrics residents? Just wondering!
 
I'm a 4th year medical student applying to a med/peds residency. I ultimately would like to do hem/onc (either peds or adults or both).

Would doing Med/Peds enhance or hurt my chances in obtaining a hem/onc fellowship in adult hem/onc or pediatrics hem/onc? Or do fellowship program directors prefer categorical medicine residents or categorical pediatrics residents? Just wondering!

It wont make any difference either way. Do combined med/peds because you genuinely like both fields, not because you think it will make you more competitive for fellowships, because it makes no difference.