timthomascu05

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2004
74
0
36
NC
Visit site
Status
This question goes out to the people that are in UNC chapil hill dental school and who have gone thru the MED program at UNC. How helpfull is the program in easing your first year as a dental student compared to your class mates that did not go thru the program? And how many people that went thru this program got into UNC's Dental school the following year?
 

UNC-DDS

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2005
8
0
Status
timthomascu05 said:
This question goes out to the people that are in UNC chapil hill dental school and who have gone thru the MED program at UNC. How helpfull is the program in easing your first year as a dental student compared to your class mates that did not go thru the program? And how many people that went thru this program got into UNC's Dental school the following year?

I'm intereste in the MED program as well for next year. I am also wondering your chances of getting in after completing the program? Have you found this out yet?
 

jpollei

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2004
513
1
NC
Status
timthomascu05 said:
This question goes out to the people that are in UNC chapil hill dental school and who have gone thru the MED program at UNC. How helpfull is the program in easing your first year as a dental student compared to your class mates that did not go thru the program? And how many people that went thru this program got into UNC's Dental school the following year?
Some people make a big deal out of the MED program here. But to be honest, I think how you do here as a dental student is much more of a reflection of your work-ethic (and to some degree inherent smarts), and not so much just a mirror of what you do to prepare. MED is ok in that it "eases" you into the first semester a little bit (only for about two weeks, whereas some poeple's undergrad got them through the whole first year), but... if you find yourself struggling with MED, dental school will destroy you as MED is still a watered down curriculum as far as volume goes. Althought I guess that could be a good indicator as well... In true comparison to dental school it's a lot like 3 or 4 high school band members up next to a 120 piece orchestra as far as overall effect. Notes may be the same, but intensity and volume is totally different.

I will say that the UNC admissions committee is aware of MED participants. But it most of the time it only minimally enhances an applicant in the eyes of the committee; rarely does it serve to "make" an applicant (unless they get a like a 4.0). Hope that helps.
 
About the Ads
OP
T

timthomascu05

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2004
74
0
36
NC
Visit site
Status
UNC-DDS said:
I'm intereste in the MED program as well for next year. I am also wondering your chances of getting in after completing the program? Have you found this out yet?
The website said that 88% of the people who go thru the program apply and of that number 90% gain admission to dental or medical school.
 
OP
T

timthomascu05

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2004
74
0
36
NC
Visit site
Status
jpollei said:
Some people make a big deal out of the MED program here. But to be honest, I think how you do here as a dental student is much more of a reflection of your work-ethic (and to some degree inherent smarts), and not so much just a mirror of what you do to prepare. MED is ok in that it "eases" you into the first semester a little bit (only for about two weeks, whereas some poeple's undergrad got them through the whole first year), but... if you find yourself struggling with MED, dental school will destroy you as MED is still a watered down curriculum as far as volume goes. Althought I guess that could be a good indicator as well... In true comparison to dental school it's a lot like 3 or 4 high school band members up next to a 120 piece orchestra as far as overall effect. Notes may be the same, but intensity and volume is totally different.

I will say that the UNC admissions committee is aware of MED participants. But it most of the time it only minimally enhances an applicant in the eyes of the committee; rarely does it serve to "make" an applicant (unless they get a like a 4.0). Hope that helps.

Just to make sure . You are a UNC dental student that went thru the MED program....right? Or are you making you statment on how people that went thru the Program are doing at UNC dental school?
 

adamlc18

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
391
0
Will 2nd year ever end?
Status
Dental Student
timthomascu05 said:
Just to make sure . You are a UNC dental student that went thru the MED program....right? Or are you making you statment on how people that went thru the Program are doing at UNC dental school?
Jpollei is making that statement as a student who is on the admissions committee.
 
About the Ads