Technology Med programs not initially designed for VGA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surg4me

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:) I am trying to decide if it's worth purchasing a VGA (640x480) pocket pc (i.e Dell X50v). I currently have an older QVGA (320x240) pocket pc that needs replacement soon and have been using programs from skyscape and isilo, etc. Has anyone used any of these programs on a VGA pocket pc? Does the pocket pc automatically scale the program to fit into the higher resolution? If it does, what is the quality like compared to using it on the traditional QVGA screens? Or does the program only take up 1/4 of the VGA screen? (which would be quite crappy)?

Any info or even links to actual screen shots comparing the same program on different machines would be helpful. Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

surg4me said:
:) I am trying to decide if it's worth purchasing a VGA (640x480) pocket pc (i.e Dell X50v). I currently have an older QVGA (320x240) pocket pc that needs replacement soon and have been using programs from skyscape and isilo, etc. Has anyone used any of these programs on a VGA pocket pc? Does the pocket pc automatically scale the program to fit into the higher resolution? If it does, what is the quality like compared to using it on the traditional QVGA screens? Or does the program only take up 1/4 of the VGA screen? (which would be quite crappy)?

Any info or even links to actual screen shots comparing the same program on different machines would be helpful. Thanks...

Hi
I installed a few programs (including skyscape and Isilo ones) on my friend's Dell X50V (I have an X30). I found absolutely no difference (yes the layout is automatically rescaled nicely, no problems there).

You may then wonder what the use of VGA screens is as opposed to QVGA. Well, MUCH better images and video playback!! So while it's impossible to appreciate a difference when reading something on Isilo, you will DEFINATELY feel the sweetness that is VGA when watching a pocket-pc encoded Divx movie.

Yes the transition to VGA is worthwhile in my opinon. I'll do it myself soon. Have fun!

Thanks for the info Hani...

I was just wondering...you have a nice ppc (X30)...is there any particular reason you were considering an upgrade? ...and if you don't mind me asking...are you a med student or resident?

I was also considering purchasing the X50 Advanced (the middle of the road one with wifi and BT), and wasn't certain if the X50v is worth the added cost of $40-60 over the X50 Advanced.

Are you planning on getting a VGA ppc? It seemed like it from your high remarks regarding the display. Honestly, I haven't really seen the newer display personally and am wondering about the benefits of the VGA screen vs. the potential problems I may have running programs not intended for VGA ppc.

I am planning on purchasing a ppc for residency and want to be certain that I can run programs such as isilo, epocrates, 5MCC, etc before making a huge purchase. Did you notice any problems with rescaling these programs? Do you know if the ppc tend to crash more often running these programs not initially intended for higher resolution? Do you think that higher resolution screens are the way to go if I plan to keep my ppc for 3-4 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
surg4me said:
Thanks for the info Hani...

I was just wondering...you have a nice ppc (X30)...is there any particular reason you were considering an upgrade? ...and if you don't mind me asking...are you a med student or resident?

I was also considering purchasing the X50 Advanced (the middle of the road one with wifi and BT), and wasn't certain if the X50v is worth the added cost of $40-60 over the X50 Advanced.

Are you planning on getting a VGA ppc? It seemed like it from your high remarks regarding the display. Honestly, I haven't really seen the newer display personally and am wondering about the benefits of the VGA screen vs. the potential problems I may have running programs not intended for VGA ppc.

I am planning on purchasing a ppc for residency and want to be certain that I can run programs such as isilo, epocrates, 5MCC, etc before making a huge purchase. Did you notice any problems with rescaling these programs? Do you know if the ppc tend to crash more often running these programs not initially intended for higher resolution? Do you think that higher resolution screens are the way to go if I plan to keep my ppc for 3-4 years?

Hi again surg,
I'm an intern in my home country, but I'm applying for the 2005 match in the US

. As for the reason for the upgrade, it's just one of those things that I 'have' to own the latest and best. Some people place too much emphasis on their cellphones or cars, I do that on my pocket pc.

Back to the VGA screen, it's an advantage because many programs released now for the pocket pc are specifically designed to make use of a VGA screen. While now most of these are games, the number will likely increase in the future. I have even run some old DOS games on my PPC using pocket DOS application. I can't even imagine how giddy I'll be when I do it on a VGA screen.

There are NO problems at all resulting from the VGA screen running older programs. At all. I have indeed installed 5MCC and Isilo on my friend's X50 and it went ok and he's not having any problems on his pocket pc. No problems rescaling at all.

X50V versus X50: Is it worth it? The former has a graphics accelerator (the only PDA that I know of that has one). Games, again!

As for buying a PDA that lasts 3-4 years, of course this is a smarter option, but remember that pocket pc's are like computers: they can easily become outdated, but that really depends on how you want to use it. For example, my desktop computer is a Pentium III, and has only 256 MBs of RAM. Yet, it's perfect for my usage (just internet surfing, word editing, watching movies). If I wanted to use it for some heavy video editing, it'd die.

So, the best answer I can give you is: Buy the best option for the longest investment, unless an entry-level PDA is all that you need (read medical stuff and nothing more :sleep: )

:)

Hello

I also have a X30, and I am very happy with it. When more apps support it (with pics and video), I will probably get it. For now the X30 does everything I need.

regards,
Leo

Hani said:
There are NO problems at all resulting from the VGA screen running older programs. At all. I have indeed installed 5MCC and Isilo on my friend's X50 and it went ok and he's not having any problems on his pocket pc. No problems rescaling at all.

Hi. I also own a Dell x50v, and recently I tried to install the 5MCC2005 into my PPC, and realise that although the rescaling is not a problem, the display is some how having blurred edges, and it is quite difficult to read!

I then use the VGA Brute Force (by Tweaks2k2) and I get the sharp VGA fonts for the 5MCC, but now the menus and surroundings of the content become out of scale, and looks really awful!

I wonder if Skyscape is coming out with VGA aware/compatible softwares in near future... I will be the first to purchase anyway! :)