Med school abroad.

Started by Brandqn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Well, I made this thread in the general International forum, but I figured that it would fit better here.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=599848

Basically, I was hoping someone may have some information about how an American could come to Ireland or the UK for medical school and residency, eventually becoming a citizen.

What I'd really like to know is what the rules/restrictions/requirements or anything like that would be for my situation.

Any information is appreciated, thanks.


Hey Brandqn, applying to medschool in Ireland or the UK:
Ireland:
- Bachelors degree (for 4 yr programs) or highschool degree (for 6 year programs)
- MCAT-Volunteer experience (clinical and non-clinical)
- Pass the interview (if one is granted)
- $$$$

UK:
- Bachelors degree (for 4 yr programs) or highschool degree (for 6 year programs)
- UKCAT (for some schools) or BMAT (for others) the MCAT does not count.
- Volunteer experience (clinical and non-clinical)
- Pass the interview (if one is granted)
- $$$

Becoming a UK or Irish citizen as an American citizen:
- marry a local girl OR
- work hard (wait ...if you can!!!) and wait a long time OR
- get a citizenship from an eastern european country in the EU or EEA and then have almost full privileges.

Cheers mate!
 
Last edited:
UK:
- Bachelors degree (for 4 yr programs) or highschool degree (for 6 year programs)
- UKCAT (for some schools) or BMAT (for others) the MCAT does not count.
- Volunteer experience (clinical and non-clinical)
- Pass the interview (if one is granted)
- $$$
Two points;
What about five-year degrees?
What $$$s?
😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Two points;
What about five-year degrees?
What $$$s?
😕

Not sure about 5 year degrees, you should check the websites of the schools you want to attend.
$$$ = expensive, the more $ signs the more expensive it is...and keep in mind prices are in EUROS!
Cheers!
 
Not sure about 5 year degrees, you should check the websites of the schools you want to attend.
$$$ = expensive, the more $ signs the more expensive it is...and keep in mind prices are in EUROS!
Cheers!
Prices are in Euros? There was I thinking that the UK still had pound sterling.

And I'm on a five-year course. 😉
 
Prices are in Euros? There was I thinking that the UK still had pound sterling.

And I'm on a five-year course. 😉

Renalmedic....for Ireland medical schools prices are listed in EUROS for international students!!! and I have seen some similar listings for some UK schools!

And also thank you for the amazing frightfulness (with your lovely sarcasm) that the UK has pounds because I thought I was paying in monopoly money when I lived there for 2 years!

Cheers.
 
It appears that Renalmedic was simply trying to point out that you forgot about 5 year medical programs, and he/she was inquiring about the $$$$ amount signs - I also didnt know what you meant. The only sarcasm was yours in that reply. I didnt look like any malice was intended, time to relax before interviews🙄
 
It appears that Renalmedic was simply trying to point out that you forgot about 5 year medical programs, and he/she was inquiring about the $$$$ amount signs - I also didnt know what you meant. The only sarcasm was yours in that reply. I didnt look like any malice was intended, time to relax before interviews🙄

I guess you are right GREGFOCKER...I am on the edge, that is true!!! 😱:scared:
Maybe I should just start meditating 😛

Sorry if I upset anyone.
 
I found this threaf to be extremly helpful, however does all of the money need to be in excroe at the bank. I know in many of the Americal schools you must have all four years of funding in escroe before you will be accepted to a medical school. or they will offer you a conditional acceptance. What type of scholarships/funding is available for International students looking to practice medicine. What is the deal with the UKCAT, it the test recognined?
 
I found this threaf to be extremly helpful, however does all of the money need to be in excroe at the bank. I know in many of the Americal schools you must have all four years of funding in escroe before you will be accepted to a medical school. or they will offer you a conditional acceptance. What type of scholarships/funding is available for International students looking to practice medicine. What is the deal with the UKCAT, it the test recognined?

I would disagree, UK is pricey, but not that bad.

I am a 2nd year medical student at University of Birmingham (International student). My tuition for the first 2 years is 11 700 pounds ($21 600 Canadian Dollars) and for the last 3 years, clinical years, it is 20 800 pounds.

The first 2 years is actually quite reasonable, as most Canadian schools tuition is around 18K anyways. My 1st year expenses, including accomodation ,books, food, etc, came out to $41 000 Canadian. This is the same amount that my friend at Univ. of Toronto paid for his 1st year in Toronto. So cost of living in England is = to downtown to Toronto (of course, central London cost of living will be higher than a place such as Leeds or Nottingham). But overall its not too bad.

But yes, last 3 years are a bit steep, but again, I have friends in Ireland who are in UCD paying 29 000 euros (like $45 000/year) or 36K euros at RCSI for tuition. And I have friends in hte States such as in Jefferson paying $45K/year JUST for tuition. So compared to those 2 choices (Ireland or U.S, UK is much cheaper)

So if you do the math, going to the UK is like 40K + 40K +60K + 60K + 60K = 260Kish. So yeh, compared to Canadian medical schools (which graduates pay around 160K), it is expensive, but its much cheaper than private American schools or Ireland. At least Ireland is a solid education, there are lots of crap american schools that charge $45K/year for tuition.

And the reason why I vouch for UK is because I did my undergraduate degree at Queens Univ in Kingston, Canada (Life Sciences). The facilities and teaching I believe is far superior in Birmingham than at Queens. Last summer I did a summer research job at Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto, as well as doing an observership with 2 surgeons at Johns Hopkins. I was able to keep up with the other medical students in both places. Again, a lot of this was possible because the guys I worked for said they liked British students.

So I give all the credit to Birmingham. I just got accepted for 2 observerships at UPenn in Philly this summer. I think the East Coast American hospitals like British graduates.

But yeh, great teaching here, great facilities and its a good course.

Of course, this is just my 2 cents, and I'm only knowledgeable about the Univ. of Birmingham curriculum, not other schools.

Cheers,
 
But yes, last 3 years are a bit steep, but again, I have friends in Ireland who are in UCD paying 29 000 euros (like $45 000/year) or 36K euros at RCSI for tuition. And I have friends in hte States such as in Jefferson paying $45K/year JUST for tuition. So compared to those 2 choices (Ireland or U.S, UK is much cheaper)

I think that UCD and the other Irish schools caught onto the North American "dream" as there was always a trickle of NA students of 2-4 each year until my cohort in 1998 of 10 Americans and 10 Canadians. We paid the equivalent of C$20,000 in my first year and C$30,000 by my final year... and now 29k EUR - which at the average in the past few months of $1.7/1EUR = $49,000 ... and at an increased acceptance of NA students (I believe 40 of which 30 are Canadian) .... that is a lot of cash for UCD ...

Blitz2006 - good to see you on here again. It has been a while and I am glad that Birmingham is treating you well!👍