Med School Advisors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScienceBrah

insufferable know-it-all
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm non traditional and out of undergraduate. So I can't utilize a pre-health advisor or career resource center.
I still want someone professional to take a look at my app, read essays, run mock interviews with, etc.
I've seen a bunch of Med School coaches or whatever online and some are even advertised on here.
Are any reputable? Scam? Thoughts? Anyone gone through it?

Is it even worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

It might be good to contact your school's alumni office to see what services are provided.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are people that will help you. One person I heard of is Judy Colwell. I believe there are some people here and/or also at oldpre-meds that have received help from her. I don't personally know her, and I have not used her as a consultant--and neither do I work for her or her organization in any fashion.

http://www.judycolwell.com/Credentials.html

I don't personally think these advisors are worth the money, especially when you can get all the same advice on SDN for free. But if you do decide to go with a coach, make sure you get someone with actual adcom experience.

Just to anecdotally demonstrate what others have said, I have been in contact with my undergrad premed adviser for the last few months even though I have been out of school for several years. He has been very willing to help out and we have even gone so far as to have phone conferences. I will say that given the unique set of circumstances that put nontraditional pre-meds in their shoes, it is often more difficult for an adviser to give confident advice compared to, say, a junior at the university.

I took some classes as a part-time DIY post-bacc and have received some advice/coaching etc. through that university. They've helped many other non-traditional students, so they've been able to advise me in that context.

I don't personally think these advisors are worth the money, especially when you can get all the same advice on SDN for free. But if you do decide to go with a coach, make sure you get someone with actual adcom experience.

Yes. I am going by what other people have shared. I can't speak from personal experience on this. Perhaps for some non-trads. these guides or coaches may be helpful. Some people have more hoops than others from jump street. Would be interesting to get feedback here as to how effective people thought they were in helping them get to their goal.

Do you have a medical school near by? Why not get the info you need from the horse's mouth... ask a faculty member of the medical school in your area.

Medical schools are notorious for being extremely vague and difficult about advising potential applicants and many of them even have a policy in place to not provide advising. The OP's best course of action is either self-education through resources like this forum or getting in touch with an official adviser.

Medical schools are notorious for being extremely vague and difficult about advising potential applicants and many of them even have a policy in place to not provide advising. The OP's best course of action is either self-education through resources like this forum or getting in touch with an official adviser.

Your right about the bolded and there are some medical school that don't quite give good advice.

i did "med school coach" and i was happy with it. i hired them like 1-2 months before the opening of the cycle in June. it's esp helpful if you are not a self motivated or organized person. i liked to procrastinate always, but having help with someone to edit my activities and essays helped me keep in the mind set. actually it was REALLY helpful come to think of it. my first draft of my activities and essay had to be drastically revamped.

Just an update!
NHAAP is awesome. They gave me an advisor very fast who answers all the "specific to me" questions. I'm sending him my transcript and we're coming up with a plan!

You know, in addition to everything I learned from SDN!