Med School After "Time-Off" and Master's Degree

Started by nikkigg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nikkigg

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In need of some advice. I graduated from UCR with a major in Bio Sci in 2006. I took some time off and have spent the whole time working at a doctor's office. Now I want to pursue a graduate degree at either CSULA (MS Biology) or CSULB (MPH) and Im not sure which. Also, I was wondering if I even had a chance to get into Med school after going to either of these schools or if it didnt really matter.

-Thanks
 
Getting into med school will depend more on your UG GPA and MCAT, then it will on a graduate degree. If you UG GPA is good, just get ready to take the MCAT and apply to med school in the next cycle. If your ug GPA needs to be boosted, then some ug post-bacc coursework or a SMP would be more helpful.
 
I got a Master's in Public Health and found it really interesting, and since I always want a foot in public health it will be useful to me. However, it's definitely not looked upon as "science" by med school folks. It will probably be easier to get LORs to satisfy the "2 science prof" requirement if you get an MS in Bio than if you get an MPH, but if you really like public health, go for it. You can always use your undergrad profs for your LORs.
 
Well I've already got my LOR's taken care of. I just wanted to get a Master's degree before I decided on committing to Medical School. I was just wondering if it would really make a difference which school I went to. Or if it even matters.