Med school and kids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EricH

Backside Attack!!!!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, this question is for the parents.... How did you juggle med school and kids?

My wife and I planned on having our first right before I start, and our plan is working out (she is due in May). However last summer our newborn niece was placed in our care by child protective services when it was discovered that she was drug exposed at birth (that's a LOOOOOOOOOng story, please dont ask). It's looking like we will be adopting my niece, who will be just over a year old when I start.

So when entering med school I will have a 1yr old and a 3 month old. I'm mostly worried about the cost of daycare....which is staggering with just the one.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I am married, in the first year of med school, and I have a 19 month old son. My wife doesn't work though and so I don't really have a TON of responsibilities in the child-care department besides changing the occasional diaper and helping out when he is sick and stuff.

She has her degree and could go out an earn money, but most of it would be spent on daycare and daycares are a vector for disease anyway. If you have any questions about specifics on how to do insurance and live on what they alot for a single person (loanwise) you can PM me.

Overall it isn't so bad. A lot of my younger classmates think it is a lot harder than it really is. Of course they are used to going out and partying during their downtime and for me downtime just means family time. I guess it just takes a change in perspective.

Oh and I still manage to get ~7 hours of sleep, work out about 3 days a week, and get (mostly) A's on my exams. None of this would be possible if I didn't have a VERY supportive and talented wife.

Slim

I am married, in the first year of med school, and I have a 19 month old son. My wife doesn't work though and so I don't really have a TON of responsibilities in the child-care department besides changing the occasional diaper and helping out when he is sick and stuff.

She has her degree and could go out an earn money, but most of it would be spent on daycare and daycares are a vector for disease anyway. If you have any questions about specifics on how to do insurance and live on what they alot for a single person (loanwise) you can PM me.

Overall it isn't so bad. A lot of my younger classmates think it is a lot harder than it really is. Of course they are used to going out and partying during their downtime and for me downtime just means family time. I guess it just takes a change in perspective.

Oh and I still manage to get ~7 hours of sleep, work out about 3 days a week, and get (mostly) A's on my exams. None of this would be possible if I didn't have a VERY supportive and talented wife.

Slim

There's a post about this on the non traditional board. Someone with 4 kid started it. You should check it out.