Med school applicant for mostly DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedSchoolHopeful123a

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
UGPA: 3.28
sGPA: 3.06
smpGPA: 3.34: 1 B- and 1 B took me down a step and due to its credit hours, it tanked my gpa. Rest of my grades were As or A-s
MCAT: 508* Based on this cycle, I will retake to get a better score.
ORM
750 hours of clinical experience, 500 hours of nonclinical volunteering
Primarily applying all DOs! Can someone post a good school list?

Members don't see this ad.

Please fill out the template

Describe the support and feedback from your SMP director.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thank you for taking your time to respond! I am reformatting and posting soon, but my state of residence is VA. Also, I asked my director and she said to apply broadly but it was going to be an uphill battle without a better MCAT.

1. 3.28 cGPA and 3.06 sGPA as calculated by AMCAS
  2. 3.34 SMP GPA
  3. 508 (127/125/129/127) MCAT score(s) and breakdown
  4. State of residence: Virginia
  5. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian
  6. Undergraduate institution or category: University of Pittsburgh
  7. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): (volunteer): 845 (non-volunteer): 80
  8. Research experience and productivity: No research experience
  9. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: (10 hours - Family Medicine; 60 Hours - Ophthalmology)
  10. Non-clinical volunteering: 350 hours - homeless shelter
  11. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Martial arts, Tutored CS to kids in university, Dancer, secretary for Extra Hands for ALS at Pitt
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I am planning on shadowing DO physicians in the next month or two for getting a letter. I am working in research on the side.

Reactions: 1 user
going to be an uphill battle without a better MCAT
I disagree. It is an uphill battle with your SMP GPA. Your 508 is not going to prevent you from getting into medical school, but you have to choose with an eye to mission fit and be humble if you wanted a brand school. Get your DO shadowing, but you might be good enough for many MD's provided you fit.

Interesting. What MD schools do you recommend I apply to? Ill still apply broadly this cycle for DO and will get my letters!

Interesting. What MD schools do you recommend I apply to? Ill still apply broadly this cycle for DO and will get my letters!
Weren't you primarily applying DO? VCOM for sure. All of your in-states at least, though UVA will be tough. I'll let others provide you lists, but mission fit is also important, and I don't have a sense here.

What I wonder about is your SMP performance. Why is it 3.3x? You likely will need an SMP faculty member and/or program director endorsement/evaluation. What are they going to say? For the most part, successful SMP applicants have 3.7+ GPA's in their programs as well as effusively supportive program (committee) letters.

Still am primarily applying DOs! Just want to make sure I covered all my grounds on what schools I should apply for.

As for my SMP performance, I ended up getting 1 B and 1 B- in two classes due to messing up on each of those classes midterms. Ended the year with also one A and 3 A-s (all of the A-s were in the spring semester). I am getting a committee letter from my director that talks about the courses and qualities about me. I don't know the specifics but I have always maintained good cordial relations with my director.

Last edited:
@Faha May I please have a recommended school list? Tempted to apply to all DO schools on ACCOMAS but I been reading things about how some schools aren't worth applying to due to rotations and issues with faculty

@Mr.Smile12 I'm tailoring my app to community service oriented schools. I have applied to all my in state schools and all the VCOMS, but I am looking for more community oriented DO schools as well

@Faha May I please have a recommended school list? Tempted to apply to all DO schools on ACCOMAS but I been reading things about how some schools aren't worth applying to due to rotations and issues with faculty
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LUCOM
PCOM (all schools)
NYITCOM (both schools)
Touro-NY
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
You could also try the VCOMs but your GPA may be below their cutoff.

Gotcha, I will apply to all of those schools! Do you think its also worth applying to some of the new DO schools? Considering DUQCOM since its in Pittsburgh but I have read a lot about avoiding new DO schools. Also, is it worth completing the secondaries I got from the MD schools I applied to? I got a bunch of them and I am considering not doing them so I can be realistic and focus on schools I can actually get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha, I will apply to all of those schools! Do you think its also worth applying to some of the new DO schools? Considering DUQCOM since its in Pittsburgh but I have read a lot about avoiding new DO schools. Also, is it worth completing the secondaries I got from the MD schools I applied to? I got a bunch of them and I am considering not doing them so I can be realistic and focus on schools I can actually get in.
The newer DO schools have some risk since no one knows how they will work out. With a 508 MCAT you can concentrate on the established schools. Which MD schools did you apply to ?

Reactions: 1 users
NSU MD
Tulane SOM
VTech Carillon
VCU
OHSU MD
Howard Uni
Morehouse
Drexel
UCR MD
EVMS
OUWB
GWash

Received secondaries from all of the above

Hi I had one more question! Is there anyway I can send in more than 6 evaluations? I already had three from professors in undergrad, one from an MD physician I worked for, one from my supervisor from where I volunteered, and one from the dean at my masters. I would like to add in the DO letters but AACOMAS has its maximum limit. Should I just email the letters to each individual medical school I applied to?

Hi I had one more question! Is there anyway I can send in more than 6 evaluations? I already had three from professors in undergrad, one from an MD physician I worked for, one from my supervisor from where I volunteered, and one from the dean at my masters. I would like to add in the DO letters but AACOMAS has its maximum limit. Should I just email the letters to each individual medical school I applied to?
You should know before applying which letters to send. I don't think more is necessarily better, and the likelihood they are more annoying than insightful is high at this late stage. You do not need to add raisins to potato salad.

Gotcha, I didn't know whether or not I would get a DO letter in time so I went ahead with the MD physicians letter (it was already in interfolio). I'll still get a DO letter and keep it in case schools reach out asking for one.

Hi guys! Just an update but I got 6 interviews; of which I had 1 waitlist and 1 rejection :( In case this goes south, what would you guys recommend I do to boost my app for the next cycle? I am considering retaking the MCAT

Hi guys! Just an update but I got 6 interviews; of which I had 1 waitlist and 1 rejection :( In case this goes south, what would you guys recommend I do to boost my app for the next cycle? I am considering retaking the MCAT
Where were your 6 interviews and your waitlist ? Are there any schools you have not heard from ?

Touro-NY
EVMS
ACOM
LECOM
WCUCOM
AZCOM

I was waitlisted at ACOM and rejected at Touro-NY. I have not heard back from other schools yet

Also forgot to mention that my WCUCOM interview is next week and the AZCOM interview is in March

Touro-NY
EVMS
ACOM
LECOM
WCUCOM
AZCOM

I was waitlisted at ACOM and rejected at Touro-NY. I have not heard back from other schools yet
I would be surprised if you do not receive an acceptance from one of those 4 DO schools. You could also receive further DO interview invites in the next 3 months from the other schools you applied to.

I would be surprised if you do not receive an acceptance from one of those 4 DO schools. You could also receive further DO interview invites in the next 3 months from the other schools you applied to.
I hope so! The waiting game sucks and I just want to make sure I have my plan B set for a reapp

I got the A from WCUCOM!!!!! Thank you so much guys for all the advice you guys have given on this forum, I couldn't have done this without you! Still will be waiting to hear back from other schools but I am overall so grateful to be given the opportunity to live out my dream!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users