General Med School Application concern

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am having a predicament deciding on when to take the MCAT based off of the AMCAS and AACOMAS application timelines. I know both applications can be submitted as early as June 1st but I am not sure if I should take my MCAT May 31st/June 1st or if i should wait to take it like i have planned on June 15th. I am stuck on the idea, if i do take the MCAT on June 15th, should I wait to send my applications until I get my test scores back, or if I should send off my application as soon as I can and have my scores sent without knowing them yet.

I want to be competitive with my application and not risk turning it in on the later side and risk not securing a possible spot with schools that do rolling admissions. I also feel that taking the MCAT 2 weeks before I planned and increase my studying to make up for that time loss, that way I can wait to get my scores and turn in my application July 1st when I get my MCAT scores back. I know many forums have said it is basically up to me and that it is based on whether or not i want to risk spending the money to apply to schools knowing I may get rejected if I send my scores without knowing, but I personally want to cast a wide net on my application and would rather take the risk and apply somewhere and get turned down rather than not apply at all.

Is this a good strategy in terms of applying, assuming monetary costs are not a concern (I'd rather spend the money than have the regret of not applying). Or does it look better to not apply and avoid the risk of rejection all together? Thank you in advance for any advice or insight, I realize I seem to be asking a boatload of questions.

The overruling advice is to take the exam when you are ready. Then if you take it in mid-June rather than early June, it's not a huge deal as long as you have desirable scores. Given this choice, I would still send in an application before you do your MCAT if it's the only thing you have to wait on since it will take time for transcript verification and letter receipt.
 
Applying without knowing your score (other than to a throwaway school in order to get the verification process going) will be a waste of time and money.

You have until early August for MD schools, and Oct for DO schools to still be on time in the process.

As the wsie MrSmile has already pointed out, do NOT take the exam until you are 100% ready, even if it means skipping an app cycle. Med schools aren't going anywhere.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.