Med school burnout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tussy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year med student and here's my problem. I'm starting to burn out after 2 years of medical school. I'm not sure if I'll make it to June when I get a couple of months off - the last vacation I'll get before graduation. Don't get me wrong -- I love medicine, and I do very well. I just need a long break.

Have any other medical students experienced this? What should I do about it? I'm thinking about taking off to Europe this summer, but planning that just seems to add to the stress rather than take away from it. Any advice or words of experience would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're like me, and hopefully you're not, you might tend to worry too much about your grades. I know grades don't matter that much for residencies, etc., but even if they don't matter at all, I would have a hard time not pushing myself to get the best grade. I sometimes have to settle for a lower grade than I would like so I can take time for myself. Not everyone can afford to do that, but if you can, try it. I've just realized, this last year, that it's not worth getting stressed out about grades, because the more stressed I get, after a certain point, the less effective my study time is. Hope this helps. Probably it's all stuff you've tried, in which case sorry I can't help. My solution: rely on God to see me through. He hasn't let me down yet.

I am an atheist. Who do I rely on. I know God only looks out for certain people but is it really fair if her helps some but not others?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, this is not the forum for debate on such a topic. I can only say that I'm sorry you think God only looks out for certain people. He's really not that way at all. If you'd like to discuss this topic, you can e-mail me at [email protected].

btw, DOGBOY, I'm glad you're not done posting at this site. Hope I never came across as attacking anyone. I don't mean to.

Tussy - Don't know if you are still checking this thread, but I wanted to tell you to try and hang in there. I'm also a 2nd year med student and feeling pretty stressed about what's coming up. I'm SO glad years 1 & 2 are almost over, but I'm worried about the USMLE (June 4 - coming way too soon) and starting rotations in July.

I hope you are able to take some time to yourself (can you schedule a vacation during 3rd year?). Are you excited at all about starting rotations? I know that's what keeps me going.

Good luck - hope things work out
wink.gif

Hang in there Tussy!

Reactions: 1 users
DOGBOY has no stats and as if he came from heaven to post that. DOG also backwards is GOD, coincidence? And if you were God, you'd be atheist because you are the alpha and omega.

So we were touched by God on April 13, 1999. Let it be known because it was so.

lol people were so serious back in 1999.

Reactions: 1 user
I should introduce myself as a snarky MF'er at times, but with no ill will or a grudge.

Let the Games begin!

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, 1999... Long-dormant neuronal pathway visions of Savage Garden, Backstreet Boys and blonde frosted tips just re-entered my mind.