Med. school dropout wanting to go pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmwannab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MSI but I basically had an epiphany that medical school just wasn't for me, and I will be withdrawing from the school come this Monday. To be honest, I originally wanted to go to pharmacy school but got caught up in the furor at my undergrad. school that med. school was the way to go, so I switched my focus. Unfortunately, it took me actually enrolling in med. school to realize that it's just not for me. I know it sounds wishy washy, but I do believe that I personally am much more suited for a career in pharmacy.

So with that said, I'm wondering what my chances are. Here's my situation. I graduated from Berkeley with a crappy GPA of 2.6 or thereabouts. I went to a post-bac program where I worked hard to get a 4.0 and so brought my average up to a 3.1 or so, basically retaking most of the basic sciences and taking other courses I had never taken before. I participated in many extracurriculars and in 2005 I actually got my pharmacy tech. certification, but never used it. I had good letters of rec. from my professors but they were taylored towards medical school. I took the MCAT and did ok, scoring a 30 (I don't know if pharm. schools care about this at all.) Since I finished my post bac program in summer 2006 I have been working but quit back in May in order to take some time off and move out to Florida to get ready for med. school.

My question is, I'm wondering if I actually have good chances of getting into a pharm. school since I am dropping out of med. school? Will that have a large negative impact on me when I apply? I'm mainly just looking at schools that do not require the PCAT. Is there anyone who's gone through something similiar and can give me advice? Is there anything I can do to improve my application to pharmacy school at this point? Thanks much!

Members don't see this ad.

Basically it happens more often than not and this is just a small sample of the pre-pharmacy community, but I originally went to school for computers and now I am also applying to pharmacy school this year. Just address your change over in your personal statement. Talk about how you would better serve the medical community as a pharmacist and not a doctor. I don't think its the end of the world, you have a good chance just like everybody else on this forum.

HTH

Basically it happens more often than not and this is just a small sample of the pre-pharmacy community, but I originally went to school for computers and now I am also applying to pharmacy school this year. Just address your change over in your personal statement. Talk about how you would better serve the medical community as a pharmacist and not a doctor. I don't think its the end of the world, you have a good chance just like everybody else on this forum.

HTH

ditto...i was once in your shoes, but while applying to med and pharm. i really focused on pharm and left med hanging...even with everything done for applications of fall 2009....don't give up my friend~ like the person above said...you have a chance as do all of us out there!~ make it shine in your personal statement. make them know that you are more suited as a pharmacist than doctor. with your experience as a MSI iam sure you can talk a lot about how you like the medical field. gl. all CA schools don't require pcat. cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
I also think you have a good chance. But I suggest you try working in a pharmacy. You don't want another epiphany once you're in.

I'm an MSI but I basically had an epiphany that medical school just wasn't for me, and I will be withdrawing from the school come this Monday. To be honest, I originally wanted to go to pharmacy school but got caught up in the furor at my undergrad. school that med. school was the way to go, so I switched my focus. Unfortunately, it took me actually enrolling in med. school to realize that it's just not for me. I know it sounds wishy washy, but I do believe that I personally am much more suited for a career in pharmacy.

So with that said, I'm wondering what my chances are. Here's my situation. I graduated from Berkeley with a crappy GPA of 2.6 or thereabouts. I went to a post-bac program where I worked hard to get a 4.0 and so brought my average up to a 3.1 or so, basically retaking most of the basic sciences and taking other courses I had never taken before. I participated in many extracurriculars and in 2005 I actually got my pharmacy tech. certification, but never used it. I had good letters of rec. from my professors but they were taylored towards medical school. I took the MCAT and did ok, scoring a 30 (I don't know if pharm. schools care about this at all.) Since I finished my post bac program in summer 2006 I have been working but quit back in May in order to take some time off and move out to Florida to get ready for med. school.

My question is, I'm wondering if I actually have good chances of getting into a pharm. school since I am dropping out of med. school? Will that have a large negative impact on me when I apply? I'm mainly just looking at schools that do not require the PCAT. Is there anyone who's gone through something similar and can give me advice? Is there anything I can do to improve my application to pharmacy school at this point? Thanks much!
I withdrew from medical school "MCG"in 2003(during fourth year-electives) and went to a top 50 pharmacy school"UGA"(one semester and became sick), and currently on deferment for a top 20 pharmacy school "UTMEM" scheduled to start in the fall 2009. So CRAZIER STUFF has happened than your situation. Suggestion- Deadline for OCTOBER PCAT is AUGUST8th. Wing it (as did myself 94%,a good friend whom also withdrew from medschool in her first year 91%, and good friend that withdrew in 2nd year 95%.) Some people assume alot about the MCAT, but I have taken it as well as both step1 and two of the USMLE. They are not comparable. Study this web-site as well as the pharmacy association web-site to see the programs and career info, but to also know your competition. The PCAT is still intended for people with two years of prereq. to do well, which means having only introductory level classes in most sciences. The key will be to promote your strong points.
1) GPA improvement
2)Finishing at BERKEY
3) Devoting additional time through postbacc
4)Getting into medical school
*****5) Having the courage to leave a stable , highly respected career for your dream of becoming a pharmacist.
6) Above %90 on PCAT in October- This will get you an interview into almost any program.

Remember there is a huge difference between withdrawing and being asked to leave a program. You made a career move. Show that you are passionate about that decision. Show that it was a difficult decision, but one you do not regret.
I am neurotic and was bed ridden for close to a year, so I studied the aspects of the pharmacy career and the training programs. So should you. The interviews are very structured even when they are relaxed. I believe you will have more options than you anticipate or want. So be SELECTIVE concerning The school reputation, LOCATION, Curriculum and program length. At interview know the web-sites of the program left and right. PCAT is not hard- but train youself to do math at an extremely fast pace and skip time-consuming Standardized test test traps. Good luck.

If you have not, asked for a leave of Absence( you can get anywhere from a month, year to two), please do so, rather than withdraw.
Reasons:
1)No academic penalty
2) can continue LEARNING about becoming a pharmacist and more importantly being one.
3) Solidify your reason are leaving and the reasons should be non-debatable and not dependent on any CURRENT situation.
4) Understand the huge pay cut, which is important based on personality, financial goals, and individual circumstances.
5) THIS IS IMPORTANT- Learn more about being a physician. For 90% of the population it is probably their secret dream job. My father is a 30year graduate of Harvard medical school, my wife is an intern and I had six months to complete my program before I became ill. With that said- when I left I new 10% of what it really meant to be a physician. You do not have to complete a residency or ever touch a patient after receiving your degree. For example- Medical Liaison for a pharmaceutical company. For example- Director of Medical Informatics at a major hospital or medical software developing company. I can do this all day, but the point is that you may be leaving one of the funnest jobs on the planet for one of the funnest jobs on the planet.
6) Ask yourself, would you prefer to make a diagnosis or be more involved with the treatment.
7) Try to transfer to another program, because different medical schools and pharmacy school are like night and Day.
In conclusion, there are no penalties for a leave of absence, but the effects of withdrawing will alter your life forever and I know. FYI- I had a tumor in spinal canal with the threat of permanent paralyzation, loss of fecal and bladder control and etc. I was called a lazy quitter by my wife, father, friends and family. Comments and jokes last for years and comments and advice never cease. Try to be understanding if this happens to you. E-mail privately.

Last edited:
So, how did it go for you ?

Did you just ask for a leave on absence instead of withdrawing ?

Let us know, since there are some of us almost in the same shoes as you are...

Best of luck