Med School for an obgyn

priinzeznisha

Future OB/GYN
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:DHi everyone,

I Plan on Becoming an Ob/gyn and i was wondering about how med school is for them. what classes do you take and in those classes what are some of the subjects. ( I Would like to do some reading on thoses subjects) i Also am curiouse about how many hands:thumbup: on expirences we might be able to have and what are some of the harder:( subjects (in your opinion and some of the funner subjects..?:)

Members don't see this ad.

I Plan on Becoming an Ob/gyn and i was wondering about how med school is for them. what classes do you take and in those classes what are some of the subjects. ( I Would like to do some reading on thoses subjects) i Also am curiouse about how many hands:thumbup: on expirences we might be able to have and what are some of the harder:( subjects (in your opinion and some of the funner subjects..?:)

Everybody takes the same classes through the first two years, and then most programs have the same clinical core rotations through the next year. It's not like much of med school is specialty specific. You will get a handful of electives in your 4th year and probably use one or two doing OBGYN at your school or in an away rotation. Otherwise your courseload is going to be indistinguishable from the person who hates OBGYN.

I recommend going into med school with an open mind and not choosing a field of specialty until you have a number of third year rotations. Meaning it's fine to think you'll like something, but not so fine "planning to become" an OBGYN. EVERYBODY in med school changes their mind at least once in med school, and most people are surprised about what they end up liking and not liking in med school.

If you're interested in Ob/Gyn, you might like to read up on women's health and pregnancy.

As a medical student, you will get a chance to see pretty much the entire spectrum of a typical OB/GYN practice. You will be in the clinic following pregnancies, performing pelvic exams and so forth. You will be in the delivery room helping to... well, deliver babies! :D And you will be in the operating room assisting with LEEP procedures, D&C and the occasional tumor extraction.

The classes in medical school aren't themselves all too complicated or difficult to grasp. There is simply a very large volume of material to absorb in a short amount of time. Usually it is more of an instance where certain students find certain topics more interesting than others. Myself, I really enjoyed physiology and neuroanatomy. :rolleyes::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

You might struggle with those darn grammar classes come college time..

Just kidding just kidding..

You'll get plenty of hands on experiences once your in medical school, but if you really want to become a doctor you shouldn't already have your specialty set in stone, especially as only a high sophomore or junior..

However, OB/GYN is nothing like what you saw on tv shows such as Private Practise or Strong Medicine. It's messy, gruelsome and mostly harsh work with little reward. You really have to really, really love the specialty to be seriously into doing a residency in it. The OB/GYN residents at my hospital, well, if I'm tired, I have no idea how in the hell do these people get up everyday knowing endless work ad nauseum and no rest awaits them for another god only knows how many years. Your only friend for the next few hundred years is the comfort of your typewriter, what a dear nice little pillow that sure is!!!

It's not that other residencies are sugar canes and jelly beans either (because they are not), but OB/GYN is just... is it even legal to force human beings to work so hard for so little credit like this these days???
I think Ob/Gyn gets an unfair amount of negative press on SDN. It has a lot of positives too. It is one of the few specialties where your time can be split evenly between the OR and clinic. If you're into procedures (the majority of medical students usually are), you will find no shortage of hands-on activities in ob/gyn. Most of your patients are young and relatively healthy. And childbirth, though admittedly very tense and nerve-wracking, will usually be a celebratory event shared with a family when there are no complications. But like any surgery, when things start to go bad... they get bad in a hurry.

With the 80 hour work-week in effect, I think residency life for all surgical specialties (including ob/gyn and neurosurg) has significantly improved.

I think Ob/Gyn gets an unfair amount of negative press on SDN. It has a lot of positives too. It is one of the few specialties where your time can be split evenly between the OR and clinic. If you're into procedures (the majority of medical students usually are), you will find no shortage of hands-on activities in ob/gyn. Most of your patients are young and relatively healthy. And childbirth, though admittedly very tense and nerve-wracking, will usually be a celebratory event shared with a family when there are no complications. But like any surgery, when things start to go bad... they get bad in a hurry.

With the 80 hour work-week in effect, I think residency life for all surgical specialties (including ob/gyn and neurosurg) has significantly improved.

Also don't OBGYNs who do a lot of OB get SUPER high malpractice insurance rates? Because when things do go wrong in a delivery, isn't it always the doctor's fault? ;) I believe I read this in like Newsweek or Time a few years ago. Plus you see all those lawyer commercials about babies with disease (such as CP) asking you to sue your OB.

You'll get plenty of hands on experiences once your in medical school...
Irony?:laugh: I just couldn't help doing it.

Wow. So refreshing to actually read something positive on SDN, instead of the usual glass-is-half-empty crap I'm always reading. :)

To the OP - congrats on setting your goals high! Like PP have said, there is a good chance that you will change your mind with regards to a specialty once (and if) you go to medicial school. That being said, I went into medical school with a suspicion that I would like Ob/Gyn (along with peds and gen surg) and low and behold here I am getting ready to start my intern year of Ob/Gyn residency.

Like PP have said, all med students have the same didactics in the first two years. Really the only year you have electives is fourth year (sometimes third year) when you are given the flexibility to do clinical rotations in fields that interest you (in addition to the required rotations). For example, this year I did an away rotation for one month in Maternal Fetal Medicine, a community rotation for one month in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, and a one month rotation in L&D.

If you are looking for some reading, I'd recommend picking up some recent issues of the Green Journal (issued by ACOG, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists): http://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/pages/default.aspx
You should be able to find the journal at a local library. You could also try a textbook like Williams but I think it's out of the realm of your understanding right now and honestly probably too technical for your purposes.

This little book is great, too:
http://www.amazon.com/Obstetrics-Gynecology-Infertility-Handbook-Clinicians-Resident/dp/0964546760

Let me know if you have any other questions. Ob/Gyn is an awesome field in and of itself, with tons of potential for specialization if desired - MFM, REI, Gyn/Onc, Urogyn, Peds/Adolescent Gyn, Reconstructive Surg, etc. Best of luck to you!

Let me know if you have any other questions. Ob/Gyn is an awesome field in and of itself, with tons of potential for specialization if desired - MFM, REI, Gyn/Onc, Urogyn, Peds/Adolescent Gyn, Reconstructive Surg, etc. Best of luck to you!

well...i wanted to know if ob/gyn's give prengacy tests, ultrasounds, papsmeres, and c-sections....and do we get to read caryotypes and do we do the whole amniosentesis procces to get the karyotype..or is there another doctor who dose it??

quote]
maybe you should speak for yourself on this subject...besides physics and boiology english is my best subject...oh nd chem:D