Med School for those that took MCAT more than twice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

60slover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI !!!
I would like to know if med school have been harder for those of you that had to repeat the MCAT.

Do you have to study more, are your grades on average ??

Members don't see this ad.

repeating the MCAT, or taking it a cumulative total of 3 or more times will seriously hamper your ability to get accepted in the first place.

or so SDN would have you believe.

I think the MCAT score is more of a factor in terms of med school success, not really how many times you took it. Ex: 1st time, 28 and 2nd time 33 is better than somebody who took it once and got 30.

It also matters what you were doing while studying for MCAT. Some pre-meds are taking a full caseload in college & lets say get a 34. That person will likely do better than another person who took the semester off and pulled a 34.

Students who retake the MCAT are as a whole weaker students than one-time takers, so there is an ASSOCIATION btwn retaking MCAT and doing worse in school, but I don't think retaking the test CAUSES somebody to do poorly in med school. Thus, retaking the test is a confounding factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
To me, the MCAT is a hard test to "study" for. It contains alot of reasoning and applying info from passages.

Classes are classes. Study, take test, rinse and repeat.

So, I think the MCAT is only somewhat important.

I know several people that did average on the MCAT and are doing better than the class average. Also, they do not seem to study all day and night either.