Med school from pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VictorOfHungerGames

May the odds be ever in your favor
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am in my late 30's. Pharmacist. Always wanted to go to med school but copped out and took the easier route. Now I am regretting not trying harder and want to see if there is a possible for me to apply again.

All things considered, I'm thinking my best option at this point would be to apply to Caribbean schools since I can save time not studying for mcat. Anyone know if they would require me to retake pre-reqs?

What are pros and cons for going to Caribbean schools?

Or any schools in US that does not require MCAT worth looking into?

Thank you for all your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Become an NP and move to independent practice state

Lol no. Even the big carib schools at least require for you to have an MCAT score (doesn't have to be good obviously). Ross has a max limit of 10yrs for pre-req coursework, idk about SGU/AUC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Am in my late 30's. Pharmacist. Always wanted to go to med school but copped out and took the easier route. Now I am regretting not trying harder and want to see if there is a possible for me to apply again.

All things considered, I'm thinking my best option at this point would be to apply to Caribbean schools since I can save time not studying for mcat. Anyone know if they would require me to retake pre-reqs?

US med schools and Caribbean med schools all require the MCAT. If you're really passionate about medicine, you'll need the MCAT and I recommend you try to apply to US schools before trying to go to the Caribbean.

Going to make this short and to the point:

PROS: start medical school sooner, you get to be a doctor
CONS: have to work harder than at US schools because you'll be applying to residency as an IMG. High debt (somewhat similar to Osteopathic-DO schools)

You must be really ready to put in the work to succeed, but it IS possible just don't expect it to be easy because it is the Caribbean.

PROS: start medical school sooner, you get to be a doctor
CONS: have to work harder than at US schools because you'll be applying to residency as an IMG. High debt (somewhat similar to Osteopathic-DO schools)
Starting early does not translate into becoming a doctor for at least half of Caribbean matriculants.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

The point here isn't that there are successful Carib grads. The point is how many additional obstacles to success you face by going to a Carib school.

The pool of US applicants from the Caribbean is viewed differently by Program Directors. The DDx for a Caribbean grad is pretty off-putting: bad judgment, bad advice, egotism, gullibility, overbearing parents, inability to delay gratification, IA's, legal problems, weak research skills, high risk behavior. This is not to say that all of them still have the quality that drew them into this situation. There is just no way to know which ones they are. Some PD's are in a position where they need to, or can afford to take risks too! So, some do get interviews.

Bad grades and scores are the least of the deficits from a PD's standpoint. A strong academic showing in a Caribbean medical school does not erase this stigma. It fact it increases the perception that the reason for the choice was on the above-mentioned list!

Just about everyone from a Caribbean school has one or more of these problems and PDs know it. That's why their grads are the last choice even with a high Step 1 score.

There was a time when folks whose only flaw was being a late bloomer went Carib, but those days are gone. There are a number of US med schools that will reward reinvention.

It's likely you'll be in the bottom half or two thirds of the class that gets dismissed before Step 1. The business plan of a Carib school depends on the majority of the class not needing to be supported in clinical rotations. They literally can't place all 250+ of the starting class at clinical sites (educational malpractice, really. If this happened at a US school, they be shut down by LCME or COCA, and sued.

The Carib (and other offshore) schools have very tenuous, very expensive, very controversial relationships with a very small number of US clinical sites. You may think you can just ask to do your clinical rotations at a site near home. Nope. You may think you don't have to worry about this stuff. Wrong.

And let's say you get through med school in the Carib and get what you need out of the various clinical rotation scenarios. Then you are in the match gamble. I don't need to say a word about this - you can find everything you need to know at nrmp.org.

You really need to talk to people who made it through Carib threshing machine (like Skip Intro or mikkus) into residency, and hear the story from them. How many people were in their class at the start, how many are in it now? How long did it take to get a residency, and how did they handle the gap year(s) and their student loans? How many residencies did they apply to, how many interviews did they get, and were any of the programs on their match list anything like what they wanted?

A little light reading:

Million $ Mistake

http://www.tameersiddiqui.com/medical-school-at-sgu

"Why didn't I Match?"

Search on sdn about the change in usmle step 1 to pass fail. That will affect your chances to get a residency coming from a carribean school.
There are only so many residency slots

My advice. You are a pharmacist doing well I am sure, they make decent money. Do not ruin your life. With the new pass/fail step one I can’t see FMG or IMG (US labeled or not) matching well. Literally would be like putting your name in a hat and hoping someone draws it out. Even US MD and DOs are going to have to adapt to this change. If you can’t take the mcat you shouldn’t go to med school. Unfortunately med school is full of board exams and tests much harder than the MCAT. Do it the right way or not at all. Not trying to be rude but after finishing US med school and having so many opportunities to the point I could turn down interviews and still match it’s the only way to go. Caribbean schools will take your money and leave you be.

My advice. You are a pharmacist doing well I am sure, they make decent money. Do not ruin your life. With the new pass/fail step one I can’t see FMG or IMG (US labeled or not) matching well. Literally would be like putting your name in a hat and hoping someone draws it out. Even US MD and DOs are going to have to adapt to this change. If you can’t take the mcat you shouldn’t go to med school. Unfortunately med school is full of board exams and tests much harder than the MCAT. Do it the right way or not at all. Not trying to be rude but after finishing US med school and having so many opportunities to the point I could turn down interviews and still match it’s the only way to go. Caribbean schools will take your money and leave you be.
Pharmacists arent doing well at all.

Pharmacists arent doing well at all.

Haha well add 300 grand to your loans and then don’t get a residency and be right back where you started. Might as well go buy a new house or sports care. Would be worth more in the long run.

Haha well add 300 grand to your loans and then don’t get a residency and be right back where you started. Might as well go buy a new house or sports care. Would be worth more in the long run.
Still doesnt change the fact that pharmacy is a dead profession. OP is choosing the lesser of the evils here, and frankly that would be sticking with Pharmacy lol.