Med School Homework?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneiroKnight

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a question for the current med students. Generally are your classes composed of lecture and exam format or do you also do research assignments or papers to hand in? Group projects?

Members don't see this ad.

lecture and exam with "small group discussions" throughout the blocks. we have to prepare answers to case questions and discuss in a small group forum similar to PBL. all the material from lecture and small groups are covered in the exams at UMDNJ-SOM.

we haven't had to write any papers though and no true group projects.

-J

same here. lectures, labs, and exams mostly... pbl assignments which aren't really graded. and the occasional case write-ups in second year.

Members don't see this ad :)
much the same, cases and pbl's with occasional other written assignments, but not much, mostly exams.

we have 3 pathways at our school, lecture, problem-based, and independent. I am in the lecture, 9-4 everyday (systems based approach), at least 1 exam every week, which blows!

MS II, lecom

DOctorJay said:
lecture and exam with "small group discussions" throughout the blocks. we have to prepare answers to case questions and discuss in a small group forum similar to PBL. all the material from lecture and small groups are covered in the exams at UMDNJ-SOM.

we haven't had to write any papers though and no true group projects.

-J

During NP school, I was always frustrated at the amount of papers and group projects they wanted us to do. If they could only leave us alone and let us read the material! I found it easier to study in the straight science classes, where it was only read, lecture, study, and exams.

The next question is, what are the assignments during the second two years?

what are the assignments during the second two years?

The occasional rounds or informal topic presentation, case presentations, one or two papers.