MED SCHOOL OR LAW SCHOOL??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mad199

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm already in my senior year, soon to finally graduate and for the past two years I have been completely sure I'd get a double titulation of Law & International Relationships. Before I got into the whole Law thing I was sure I wanted Medcine and now its coming back again. I've begun to question everything again. To be completely honest I think I am made for Law School (and I think in some level everyone's comments that I'd be perfect for Law are slightly influencing me), I am supposedly highly eloquent, I love public speaking, I love debating, I love politics and researching and honestly I do feel a great passion for law, but here's the deal: I live in Honduras, yeah the small country in Central America that's the home for drugs and gangs in Central America. Here, unlike in the States, Law is a very disregarded career, very little lawyers are succesful, most extremely underpaid and Arbitrary law and those alike are extremely dangerous, there's a lawyer bloodshell here. And Universities in the States are super expensive so that's not an option, I think if I lived in the Sates or had the possibility to study there I would most likely study Law but since I can't I'm going for Medicine, which I really like (I already have my University, the decision is practically already made) but do you think it's a wise choice? I had actually considered it before and I like it just maybe a tiny less than Law, is it okay to study Medicine even though it is my 2nd choice career? I truly think it may be a career I will enjoy but damn sometimes I think I will look back and really regret not going for my passion, or maybe I'll be thankful because I will actually have a job if I study Medicine unlike with Law. Help, please give me advice!
Thanks in advance,
M

P.S.: Sorry if I have some grammar mistakes, English is not my native language.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Medicine if you really have no choice. A career is useless if you can't practice it, especially if it's unsafe and life threatening. There's no point in studying something only to find yourself unemployed, and barely able to support yourself. Will you regret it? Maybe but it would still be the right decision. Only choose a career if it makes sense, sometimes you can't follow your heart.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In my observation, and having worked in the legal field for some time, the legal field is all about solid articulate bulletproof communication and language skills. I don't intend to hurt feelings, but I don't think you are anywhere near being ready for law school, let alone for a judge or client. If you want to go to law school in another country, then that's a different story. As far as medical school is concerned, you will need to get past a reading section on the MCAT called the CARS section.

Again, I suspect that this is not what you want to hear, but unless you have 10 years to spare brushing up on your language, forget about law in the English language, make a reasonable assessment as to whether or not you can get a decent score on the CARS section in a reasonable time frame.

Remember that there are many wonderful careers beyond medicine and law. One example, if you are interested in aiming high and not settling for a lower level position, is a career in business and MBA degree. You can work your way up the corporate management ladder. Businesses increasingly want cultural and national diversity in their management teams and leaders who can communicate in multiple languages. If your role involves communicating with offices overseas, everyone will cut you some slack with your English AND many, if not most, companies will help pay for your education, MBA and English classes.

IF you are stuck on going into law or medicine: Then try out different English tutors and find one that you work well with and who can teach you rapidly and assist with word choice and tone, not only grammar.

Last edited:
I am supposedly highly eloquent, I love public speaking, I love debating, I love politics and researching

These are not good reasons for going to law school.

To be completely honest I think I am made for Law School (and I think in some level everyone's comments that I'd be perfect for Law are slightly influencing me)

In my n=x, no one who is established in a profession ever tells a person not in the profession that they are made for the profession. Comments from premeds regarding suitability for a certain profession should especially be viewed with a grain of salt.

I can't speak about any legal topics regarding other countries, but here in the U.S. applications for schools have been down for several years, and rightly so; the market for attorneys since circa 2007 has been bad. Generally, the more qualified law school applicants are looking to other sectors for careers because they can exercise those options, and a majority of those applying to schools probably shouldn't have bothered in the first place. If you truly think that you want to become an attorney, identify concrete reasons why you are "passionate about the law." Are you willing to sit at a desk for literally hours on end doing doc review? Would you be willing to work overnights and weekends where the work you'd do probably wouldn't be billed because of client demands? Are you willing to enter a field where there's a strong possibility of not obtaining a job that required a J.D., and even if you did, you might not make enough to service your debt?

TL;DR: I think you might need more substantive reasons for why you'd want to enter law school; ditto for medical school. I'm copying @Law2Doc on this, as s/he practiced law before entering medicine (and is more qualified to give advice, if so chosen to).

If you wanna be unemployed and in either a lotta loan debt, or a lotta parents-paid-my-way-for-me-to-live-in-the-basement debt, go to law school. Or if you got connections.

TL;DR: I think you might need more substantive reasons for why you'd want to enter law school; ditto for medical school. I'm copying @Law2Doc on this, as s/he practiced law before entering medicine (and is more qualified to give advice, if so chosen to).

I really didn't understand OPs question, to be honest -- is the goal to become a doctor or lawyer to practice in Honduras? Is the intent to come to the US to train or stay offshore? If the answer is Honduras to either of these questions I don't think the US crowd on this board can offer much in the way of advice. I think you have to be pretty eloquent and good at English for either field -- in both fields communication is key. In the US if someone tells you you'd be a great lawyer, it is generally a thinly veiled insult -- it means you are very argumentative. Most of those people actually make terrible lawyers, FWIW.

Reactions: 3 users
I would say that about 50-75% of people go into medicine because they want to take care of patients. The other 25-50% do it because they are gunners...and being a doctor is a great gunner thing to do. I would imagine that that number would be closer to 100% for lawyers. If you are that gunner type who wants the prestige and have people kiss your ring...your decision isn't easy. But if you aren't that type of person...for your own sanity...go to medical schools.

What does your heart tell you? Both the Law and medicine are a calling, like being priest. I sense that Law is more for you, from your comments.

While a lot of people don't feel this way. I really relate. I think if you truly want to dedicate your life, it is a calling. As a vocation, think about it as if you are thinking about making vows like a priest.

If you are asking this as a career choice, then think of it in terms of practicality instead. If you were here in the US, I hope you would consider it as a vocation. But if you're in a difficult situation and setting then remember to be practical.

Considering on your situation and context is important. If you're in a dire situation, remember hard work and practically puts food on the table not unfulfilled desires. And a speeding bullet always has the right of way.

I would say that about 50-75% of people go into medicine because they want to take care of patients. The other 25-50% do it because they are gunners...and being a doctor is a great gunner thing to do. I would imagine that that number would be closer to 100% for lawyers. If you are that gunner type who wants the prestige and have people kiss your ring...your decision isn't easy. But if you aren't that type of person...for your own sanity...go to medical schools.

Nah, it's more like only 5% who are gunner-ish (the way you are using/misusing the term)-- lots of premeds act like this but a very very low percent that actually make it deep into med school with this attitude. It just seems like more because they are not subtle about it. Nothing close to 50%. I'm pleased to say that the vast vast number of people I've worked with actually give a damn about doing what's right for the patient and get a big thrill when they make a good catch or diagnosis that positively impacts someone's life. This doesn't have to be your driving motivation but certainly going into medicine just because it's a "gunner-ish" thing to do really doesn't occur like it might on, say, Wall Street.

From what I understand, the job market is extremely saturated for law grads and enrollment in law schools is decreasing significantly across the US. I'm from MN, and we just had two of our law schools combine into one school because of record low enrollment over the past few years. So as far as jobs go, medicine is probably the better career choice. Just my 2 cents OP :)

Last edited:
Nah, it's more like only 5% who are gunner-ish (the way you are using/misusing the term)-- lots of premeds act like this but a very very low percent that actually make it deep into med school with this attitude. It just seems like more because they are not subtle about it. Nothing close to 50%. I'm pleased to say that the vast vast number of people I've worked with actually give a damn about doing what's right for the patient and get a big thrill when they make a good catch or diagnosis that positively impacts someone's life. This doesn't have to be your driving motivation but certainly going into medicine just because it's a "gunner-ish" thing to do really doesn't occur like it might on, say, Wall Street.

Yeah...I'm going to disagree with you.. Strongly

In general if you're considering medical school or ANY OTHER FIELD, do the other field. Medical training is really hard. Nobody should go into medicine unless they can't imagine doing anything else.

Having been to law school, I would only recommend someone attend law school if they were really, really sure it was what they wanted to do. I have attempted to talk several people out of doing it over the years since I graduated. One of them didn't heed my advice, but she was very sure and she is also doing very well for herself now.

Of course, now that I'm on the road to trying to get to medical school, I can say with certainty don't do that unless you are sure either. I mean, certainly take some science classes if you haven't already to see if it's something you might want to do.

Of course, you can never be 100% sure about anything, and life has a way of throwing curves. Really, only you can make that decision.

As an aside, I was one of those people who was "perfect" for law, and while I don't entirely regret the experience, I definitely wish I had taken more serious care with my decision to attend law school.

Ok so I'm already in my senior year, soon to finally graduate and for the past two years I have been completely sure I'd get a double titulation of Law & International Relationships. Before I got into the whole Law thing I was sure I wanted Medcine and now its coming back again. I've begun to question everything again. To be completely honest I think I am made for Law School (and I think in some level everyone's comments that I'd be perfect for Law are slightly influencing me), I am supposedly highly eloquent, I love public speaking, I love debating, I love politics and researching and honestly I do feel a great passion for law, but here's the deal: I live in Honduras, yeah the small country in Central America that's the home for drugs and gangs in Central America. Here, unlike in the States, Law is a very disregarded career, very little lawyers are succesful, most extremely underpaid and Arbitrary law and those alike are extremely dangerous, there's a lawyer bloodshell here. And Universities in the States are super expensive so that's not an option, I think if I lived in the Sates or had the possibility to study there I would most likely study Law but since I can't I'm going for Medicine, which I really like (I already have my University, the decision is practically already made) but do you think it's a wise choice? I had actually considered it before and I like it just maybe a tiny less than Law, is it okay to study Medicine even though it is my 2nd choice career? I truly think it may be a career I will enjoy but damn sometimes I think I will look back and really regret not going for my passion, or maybe I'll be thankful because I will actually have a job if I study Medicine unlike with Law. Help, please give me advice!
Thanks in advance,
M

P.S.: Sorry if I have some grammar mistakes, English is not my native language.

Your English is fine.

In my observation, and having worked in the legal field for some time, the legal field is all about solid articulate bulletproof communication and language skills. I don't intend to hurt feelings, but I don't think you are anywhere near being ready for law school, let alone for a judge or client. If you want to go to law school in another country, then that's a different story. As far as medical school is concerned, you will need to get past a reading section on the MCAT called the CARS section.

Again, I suspect that this is not what you want to hear, but unless you have 10 years to spare brushing up on your language, forget about law in the English language, make a reasonable assessment as to whether or not you can get a decent score on the CARS section in a reasonable time frame.

Remember that there are many wonderful careers beyond medicine and law. One example, if you are interested in aiming high and not settling for a lower level position, is a career in business and MBA degree. You can work your way up the corporate management ladder. Businesses increasingly want cultural and national diversity in their management teams and leaders who can communicate in multiple languages. If your role involves communicating with offices overseas, everyone will cut you some slack with your English AND many, if not most, companies will help pay for your education, MBA and English classes.

IF you are stuck on going into law or medicine: Then try out different English tutors and find one that you work well with and who can teach you rapidly and assist with word choice and tone, not only grammar.

Well I am 16 and English is actually my third language: Spanish, French and English currently studying Mandarin, but still thanks for the feedback I took the TOEFL a couple years ago, but I will look into the MCAT, CARS section you mentioned.

Thanks for your answers guys, most were really helpful! Best wishes.

Well I am 16 and English is actually my third language: Spanish, French and English currently studying Mandarin, but still thanks for the feedback I took the TOEFL a couple years ago, but I will look into the MCAT, CARS section you mentioned.
Holy crap! Good for you. Way to young to making this call tho. Law stinks in the US. Go into medicine and actually help people. If you can do well on the MCAT, I would recommend coming here (US) for increased international practice rights. But do what you got to do.