Med school or nursing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GroovyM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's is where I'm at. I'm about to me 19 and I'm in community college. I want a career in the medical field.

What's stopping me from nursing?
I'm a guy lol
Salary
The thought that I could've been something better

What's stopping me from Medical School?
I'm in a community college
Money
Social life as an MD
Doubting myself if I can do it or not
Just time in general, the fact that it takes to long, I could be making money as a nurse, and that'll be at least 8-9 years achieving an MD, too much time in school but at the same time I think that I'll just be wasting my life in school.

The reason why money is so important to me is because I'm poor and would like to help out my mom ASAP. I'm not some greedy person

A lot of you might say that I'm not passionate about being a doctor. I am but nursing would be more convenient for me and I wouldn't mind being a nurse if j had too, I love people.

Members don't see this ad.

Just based on your last sentence...seems like you've made up your mind. Stick with your gut.

Nursing, too impatient for med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dental school might be an option for you.

Not passionate for cleaning teeth and filling cavities.

I might consider a PA career but the programs in California are very little

Here's is where I'm at. I'm about to me 19 and I'm in community college. I want a career in the medical field.

What's stopping me from nursing?
I'm a guy lol
Salary
The thought that I could've been something better

What's stopping me from Medical School?
I'm in a community college
Money
Social life as an MD
Doubting myself if I can do it or not
Just time in general, the fact that it takes to long, I could be making money as a nurse, and that'll be at least 8-9 years achieving an MD, too much time in school but at the same time I think that I'll just be wasting my life in school.

The reason why money is so important to me is because I'm poor and would like to help out my mom ASAP. I'm not some greedy person

A lot of you might say that I'm not passionate about being a doctor. I am but nursing would be more convenient for me and I wouldn't mind being a nurse if j had too, I love people.

First of all. You're 19. F....you're a baby. I've got a denim jacket older than you. My favorite car I sold before medical school was a good 10 years older than you. It had a tape deck. Do you even know what that is?! So..what are you doing in this old people forum?

Ok grumpiness aside. Why one or the other. Become a nurse, support you're mother--you sound like a good kid, by the way--and then work while you're preparing for medical school later if you still want to. All this life you'd be wasting, even with being an RN first and taking you're time to figure it out, would have you finishing med school 5 years before I even started or more.

Last edited: