med school rep and residency programs

Started by uclakid
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

uclakid

Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, everyone.
I posted this question in the allopathic forums. Someone suggested that I ask here.


I'm still an undergrad but am wondering if the reputation of the medical school matters when it comes to getting into a top notch competitive residency program?? I personally hope to go into surgery.
 
Medical school reputation helps somewhat but grades and board scores and who-you-know are far more important.

Also don't forget that at a big-name school you might be in the middle third of the class but at a no-name school you might be in the top 1/3 and that's probably more important for residency ranking.

In other words, don't worry so much about which medical school. Any US medical school is considered prestigious.